Options

Photography rules for NCAA (ACC) Tournament?

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited March 7, 2011 in Sports
I'm thinking about going to the ACC Tournament on Friday to see if I can get any decent pictures (from the stands, of course). But I'm having a hard time finding any kind of policy on photography online. I've looked on the ACC website and googled the subject, but can't find out if any cameras or lenses are banned from the facilities.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    From my experiences it is set by the host venue. The venue is responsible for security and safety and often keeps those consistent across events. I know that the conferences do have rules about credentialed photographers and the access, location, sports strobe connections, broadband ... etc. Which venue are you looking at going to?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
    The tourney is in the Greensboro Coliseum this year. I'll check their website now...

... their site says "camera policies vary on an event by event basis."
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    The tourney is in the Greensboro Coliseum this year. I'll check their website now...

... their site says "camera policies vary on an event by event basis."

I know the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill does not allow you to take any lenses longer than 55mm.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    If you take a long lens, be prepared to take it back to your car. Personally, I don't think its worth shooting as a fan. Go to enjoy the game.
  • Options
    CFPhotographyCFPhotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    I think alot of venues have a 6" lens rule, but others are much stricter and even to the point they don't care what lens you have if it's a professional camera (i.e. not a P&S) it's not allowed. I was at a game with my 30D and the crappy 18-55 kit lens just to take a few photos, and several security guards came up to and questioned me, finally a 3rd one came up and told me to stay put he was going to get his manager. As soon as he turned around, I made a run for it... haha..... sometimes, it's just not worth the hassle, just go and enjoy the game!:D
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm not a fan and have little interest in the games. I've got a new camera and some lenses and want to put them through various tests to see how they perform.

I'll just pass on the tournament and find an opportunity somewhere else.