Options

Sunset in Terlingua...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited March 26, 2011 in Journeys
I came away with the realization that life (and death) is harsh in the desert. Thirteen miles North of the Texas/Mexico border.

1207004210_qYojd-XL.jpg

1207004981_dqNgp-XL.jpg

1207005415_ZeTmP-XL.jpg

1207005515_xPEmk-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Terlingua, located on the Western edge of Big Bend National Park was created when 'quick-silver' was found there. Also known as mercury, the town prospered during WWII with a strong demand for the product used in primers of ordinance. However, with a strong relationship between miners dying of mercury poisoning, and a decline in the need for the product after WWII, the town basically evaporated into the desert.

These shots were taken in what's referred to as the "Ghost Town" part. Taken at sunset, they tried to depict the harshness of the desert with the simplicity of burials of the deceased. This is a very stark existence from what most of us can comprehend. For example, their last rain was this past September, some six months ago. Electricity is virtually non-existent more than a mile or two off the main road or ancillary roads in town. There is no grass and tumbleweed grows rampant in the local cemetery where most graves remain unmarked.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 10, 2011
    Fascinating narrative and compositions. I love places like this. I hope you'll post more shots from there.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Viva Terlingua! clap.gif
    Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm
  • Options
    jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Great shots, the light was fantastic when you were there. I like the warm tone you used, but my fave is the b&w one.

I also remember they used to have a chili cook off here.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Fascinating narrative and compositions. I love places like this. I hope you'll post more shots from there.

Regards,
    -joel

Thank-you. Here's a few more from this trip:

Along the Rio Grande river, an old movie set from Lonesome Dove "Streets of Laredo"
    1207009151_YnFDL-XL.jpg

The church in Terlingua with new window replacements.
    1207012580_JAwwF-XL.jpg

The sheer vastness of the area is overwhelming
    1207014722_fWqz8-XL.jpg

True sunset in Terlingua
    1207016383_Kds7Q-XL.jpg

Viva Terlingua! clap.gif

Yes! That is one of the more popular sayings. Heck, they even have stickers now with it.

jpope42 wrote: »
    Great shots, the light was fantastic when you were there. I like the warm tone you used, but my fave is the b&w one.

I also remember they used to have a chili cook off here.

Thank-you as well.... Yes, the lighting gods were present for this. The warm tones are natural, not induced via post (which by the way surprised me a bit) The desert floor was crowding 85*F already, and with the low humidity, little wind that day and no smog or smoke from Mexico, the shots sort of fell into place.

And you are correct about the chili-cookoff every year. Each year Terlingua/Study Butte hosts the event. Just South of there about 13 miles is also where the beer drinking goat lived in LaJitas.

The entire gallery can be seen HERE if you are interested.

Again, thank you for the comments.

• Options
    BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »

Yes! That is one of the more popular sayings. Heck, they even have stickers now with it.

There was a famous record album (remember those) called Viva Terlingua recorded in 1973. I remember listening to it over and over while growing up in Texas.

220px-JerryJeffWalkerVivaTerlingua.jpg