Traveling portraits (1 speedlight and good old fashioned daylight)

ccsccs Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited March 13, 2011 in People
While travelling in Colombia we came across this pretty amazing boutique hotel. A few portraits with minimal gear ensued. Thoughts? Suggestions?

1201726131_29as7-XL.jpg

#1 was done only with daylight.

1201745472_9fbEs-XL.jpg

for #2, I wrapped my speedlight in a white pillow case to soften the light.

I'd love to hear some feedback. Im new to these parts!

Thanks!

Comments

• ccsccs Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Can you post larger photos? Hard to give you an honest critique if we can't really see what's going on with the lighting.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited March 7, 2011
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    I really like these so I'm going to give my personal opinion.
    On one I would prefer a tighter crop and I would most definitely watch the white dress as the highlights are blown an there is a loss of detail which in this case I truly believe that detail in her dress would enhance the feel of the image.
    The second one I dig the crop but I'm a bit bothered by the reflection on the black door pane. Given what you had to work with a white sheet might have helped to diffuse that as well as the slight shadow cast on her dress. The dress has more detail than on the first as well which is nice. As for your lovely model, her expression seems to be one of "startled" or "surprised" which could work with this image though I feel it's a little overdone :D
    Nice work...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited March 13, 2011
    Hey! thanks for the feedback.

How would you reduce the reflection? photoshop, or is there something you'd do in your actual setup?

Cheers,
    Chris