New Camera - Looking for some advice.

JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited March 9, 2011 in Cameras
My wife bought me a new camera for my birthday. A nice new Canon 7D. (great wife).

Now the problem comes in that I'm really new to dSLR's. I'd really like to find a good book or a website that will take me through working to get better photos. Walking me through the manual settings and really the best way to get better and better at taking photos.

I'm not really looking for a quick fix but a continuing education that I can follow (or start).

Does that make sense? I appreciate the help

Thanks

Josh

Comments

• dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Read the manual of you camera so that you can learn how to use it.
    Know the basics (aperture, shutter speed and iso)
    watch videos
    practice!

And congrats on the camera, its a great one! :D
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    First, congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

The site that you are on, The Digitla Grin, has some of the best advice, and from some of the best photographers, of any site that I have found on the Internet. I'm not kidding about that.

Although our advice is not organized into a series of concise tutorials it's pretty much all here. Plus you can ask almost any question here and not be chastised or ridiculed. We try very hard to make even the newest photographers feel like they can ask anything and get a reasonable answer, often with pertinent images and tips.

To start your journey into photography take a look at the links here:

If you look at our "Techniques" forum you'll find these are the stickies at the top. Read through the links, choosing those that interest you first. If you find a thread with an interesting title, read the whole thread. You'll often come upon several different descriptions and applications of the topic and those different perspectives will often "bring home" the meaning to you.

When you feel like you're making gains but you still have questions, post the questions in the appropriate forum. If you should post in the wrong forum, your post might be moved to a more appropriate forum by one of the moderators including myself. That's what we're here for, to help the users and make this the best photographic learning experience ever.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    First, congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

The site that you are on, The Digitla Grin, has some of the best advice, and from some of the best photographers, of any site that I have found on the Internet. I'm not kidding about that.

Although our advice is not organized into a series of concise tutorials it's pretty much all here. Plus you can ask almost any question here and not be chastised or ridiculed. We try very hard to make even the newest photographers feel like they can ask anything and get a reasonable answer, often with pertinent images and tips.

To start your journey into photography take a look at the links here:

If you look at our "Techniques" forum you'll find these are the stickies at the top. Read through the links, choosing those that interest you first. If you find a thread with an interesting title, read the whole thread. You'll often come upon several different descriptions and applications of the topic and those different perspectives will often "bring home" the meaning to you.

When you feel like you're making gains but you still have questions, post the questions in the appropriate forum. If you should post in the wrong forum, your post might be moved to a more appropriate forum by one of the moderators including myself. That's what we're here for, to help the users and make this the best photographic learning experience ever.

Amen to that! :D
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks for all the tips.. I'll look into those.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Nicole Young actually wrote a book on the 7d. It might be helpful for you....
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    I just picked up this gem:

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Canon-Digital-Photography/dp/1435456912/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299532707&sr=8-1

I am finding it really helpful. The manual from Canon tells you how to change settings, but not why or what the difference is.

Congrats on the new camera. I just got mine last week. I had a 20D that I could shoot with in my sleep......and the 7D is a whole new ball game.

There is a field guide for the 7D coming out from the same author in May. You can pre-order it.

I also picked up books on exposure, shutter speed and speedlights.
    While all of the info could be found online with enough effort......I wanted something offline and portable to reference back to.

Have fun shooting.
  • Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    I'm a Nikon shooter, but I can definitely vouch for the wealth of information you can learn from this forum. Some of the best photographers in the world(based on the photos posted IMO) are always ready to give pointers and C&C. As noted above, take the manual and learn how to navigate your new camera. Then snap till your finger gets tired!!rolleyes1.gifCongrats on the new camera and hope to see some pics soon!
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    aktse wrote: »
    Nicole Young actually wrote a book on the 7d. It might be helpful for you....

What I was about to say :)thumb.gif I got that book for a friend who also had the 7D but was still figuring out the non-auto settings of the DSLR world. Reports are it's done wonders. Last time I checked, he was playing with lensbabies ;) I love creating addictions....
    //Leah
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    JoshFink wrote: »
    My wife bought me a new camera for my birthday. A nice new Canon 7D. (great wife).

Now the problem comes in that I'm really new to dSLR's. I'd really like to find a good book or a website that will take me through working to get better photos. Walking me through the manual settings and really the best way to get better and better at taking photos.

I'm not really looking for a quick fix but a continuing education that I can follow (or start).

Does that make sense? I appreciate the help

Thanks

Josh

you can read the DSLR pdf guides like this:
    http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ebooklets/e_ultimate_photo_guide.pdf

or look at DSLR tips here or on 7D forums
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum

or check your local library - there are loads of photography books, not necessarily on the 7D but many cover the basics. Then you can get an idea if you want to buy a basic book
  • JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    THanks everyone. I found some good resources and books and I'm headed out to try my luck.