Options

Which White?

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited September 27, 2005 in Holy Macro
I went to the flower gardens yesterday. Played with me macro. Here's some white roses. Use the poll. You can vote without me knowing who you are. Comments are always welcome, especially if you don't like either. Click on originals for exif.

37515983-L.jpg

37516073-L.jpg

Framed

37518215-M.jpg

37518318-M.jpg

Which? 21 votes

I prefer #1
47% 10 votes
I prefer #2
42% 9 votes
I like both
9% 2 votes
I dislike both
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    The first rose in the 2nd frame, I want to see how that will look. :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    I prefer the white in number 2thumb.gif

If you have a moment could you give a short tut on how you did the frames? Those are the kind of frames I use in my living room and would love to be able to see what it will look like before I print it and frame it.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Hi Khaos,
    I prefer #2 over #1. I usually like strong contrast in color and shading, but for some reason #1 is hard to look at. It hurts my eyes (not aesthetically but physically) to look at it. Both are nice compositions. The colors of #1 seem more natural as #2 seems to have a touch too much blue (my monitor is not calibrated).

I've also been know to pluck a few pedals from a rose if they are distracting. I call it "speeding up nature" as the pedals will eventually fall off anyway:D.

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I prefer the white in number 2thumb.gif

If you have a moment could you give a short tut on how you did the frames? Those are the kind of frames I use in my living room and would love to be able to see what it will look like before I print it and frame it.

Eric
    I use this PS action.

If you just want a black frame, before jumping to frame adjustment, merge the vertical and horizontal layers together and rename that layer Frame. Otherwise you're stuck choosing a wod style or pattern frame.
  • Options
    The first rose in the 2nd frame, I want to see how that will look. :)
    I get the time, I'll try it and post.
  • Options
    Hi Khaos,
    I prefer #2 over #1. I usually like strong contrast in color and shading, but for some reason #1 is hard to look at. It hurts my eyes (not aesthetically but physically) to look at it. Both are nice compositions. The colors of #1 seem more natural as #2 seems to have a touch too much blue (my monitor is not calibrated).

I've also been know to pluck a few pedals from a rose if they are distracting. I call it "speeding up nature" as the pedals will eventually fall off anyway:D.
    Thanks. This is why I like polls. The two are neck in neck in preference and that shows different tastes and also getting to hear why one prefers another over the other is interesting.

I didn't adjust colors on these. Just shadow work in RAW and then some luminous sharpening.

I didn't want to be plucking in a large public garden with many people milling about.:D I actually have some pink ones with a damaged petal that I like. Adds character I say.umph.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    These are both beautiful flowwer shots. You could have some real fun with LAB curves with them. The colors you do have a beatiful and delicate, but you can approach LAB curves with a light hand. One good trick is to adjust in a duplicate layer and then play with the opacity to tone down. So you can make really outragous steep curves and then just keep the faintest hint of them.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    #2 because it has the slight pink tint around the edges of the petals, but I guess that is not the point of "Which White?" now is it.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    You could have some real fun with LAB curves with them. The colors you do have a beatiful and delicate, but you can approach LAB curves with a light hand. One good trick is to adjust in a duplicate layer and then play with the opacity to tone down. So you can make really outragous steep curves and then just keep the faintest hint of them.

Just to make this more grapic, here is one of the roses with LAB A+B symetric steepening of 45, a really outragous amount:

37743273-L.jpg

Not much good for anything the way it is without some LSD. But here it is layered on top of the original at 15% opacity:

37743316-L.jpg

Now you could play with some more interesting blending options: overlay, blend-if, &etc. As I said, you could have some fun here.

This is a compliment, BTW. Love the originals.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Just to make this more grapic, here is one of the roses with LAB A+B symetric steepening of 45, a really outragous amount:

Not much good for anything the way it is without some LSD. But here it is layered on top of the original at 15% opacity:

Now you could play with some more interesting blending options: overlay, blend-if, &etc. As I said, you could have some fun here.

This is a compliment, BTW. Love the originals.
    Thanks for the suggestion and example.thumb.gif I'm going to play with them and some other shots. If I get something cool, I'll post.