Options

Some More High School Basketball

73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited March 19, 2011 in Sports
I was able to make one of the 1<SUP>st</SUP> round district tournament games last week and I was able to get about 40 quality shots.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
All photos were taken with my Canon 50D with a 50mm f1.4 prime lens and a 430EX Speedlight, shot in Manual at 500/sec, f1.4, ISO 400, flash in Manual set at 1/16<SUP>th</SUP> power.
<o:p></o:p>
Here are a few of the best:

1204235697_45Rjj-L.jpg

1204236080_P5Wnf-L.jpg

1204236588_KLnS5-L.jpg

1204237236_Z99xf-L.jpg

1204237487_oYs8s-L.jpg

1204237827_caZ67-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    crustycrusty Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    SOme good shots... I'm trying to read up on adding a flash to my arsenal for bball shooting.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    crusty wrote: »
    SOme good shots... I'm trying to read up on adding a flash to my arsenal for bball shooting.

Thanks for the compliment Crusty.

Two MAJOR lessons I have learned about choosing and using a flash. (1) If sports is your goal, make sure the flash has the "High Speed Sync" option. This will let you get to speeds above 250/sec shutter speed. For a great rundown on "High Speed Sync" go to this web site and watch the first half of the video. http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/pocketwizard_controltl_optimiz/

(2) Because of the small, poorly lit gyms im my neck of the woods what I have found that works best for me is this . . . I set my camera to the point where I can get a good image with at least 500/sec shutter speed without using my flash. I turn on my flash and set it to "High Speed Sync" / Manual at about 1/16 to 1/32 power just to give the image a little touch of "fill flash". Of course it helps that I use a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens too . . . but that's a subject for a different day.

I started doing this half way through this season. I was taking good shots without my flash, but I noticed that my images just did not have any "pop" or "dazzle" to them . . . they seemed kind of dull and lifeless. So I started using my flash in Manual at reduced power.

I hope this helps you out -
    Mark
  • Options
    crustycrusty Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    73Rocks wrote: »
    Thanks for the compliment Crusty.

Two MAJOR lessons I have learned about choosing and using a flash. (1) If sports is your goal, make sure the flash has the "High Speed Sync" option. This will let you get to speeds above 250/sec shutter speed. For a great rundown on "High Speed Sync" go to this web site and watch the first half of the video. http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/pocketwizard_controltl_optimiz/

(2) Because of the small, poorly lit gyms im my neck of the woods what I have found that works best for me is this . . . I set my camera to the point where I can get a good image with at least 500/sec shutter speed without using my flash. I turn on my flash and set it to "High Speed Sync" / Manual at about 1/16 to 1/32 power just to give the image a little touch of "fill flash". Of course it helps that I use a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens too . . . but that's a subject for a different day.

I started doing this half way through this season. I was taking good shots without my flash, but I noticed that my images just did not have any "pop" or "dazzle" to them . . . they seemed kind of dull and lifeless. So I started using my flash in Manual at reduced power.

I hope this helps you out -
    Mark

Thanks for the info!! Do you keep your flash camera mounted or on a stand?

I've got the Nikkor 50mm 1.8, so hopefully that'll get me close... lol
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2011
    crusty wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!! Do you keep your flash camera mounted or on a stand?

I've got the Nikkor 50mm 1.8, so hopefully that'll get me close... lol

I keep my flash right on the camera . . . no fancy setups. BTW - this worked great for football too.

With the f1.8 you should be able to get your camera dialed down to a good low light setting . . . just add the flash and I think you should be ready to go.