Last Spring Daughter

B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited March 9, 2011 in People
Here is a pic I took of my daughter last spring. Tried to get it ready to print if she'll let me.
I like the pic, but it just seems to me like I am missing something. Maybe white balance or skin tones.
I just feel like they don't pop enough. Is there some color adjustments I am missing?
Sharpening??
I am using elements 9.0

1210505577_YGxgv-XL.jpg

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    well I think it may be underexposed a bit, and a bit soft. Try that and see what you think. Nice background! And such a pretty girl, her left eye is a bit hidden so a boost in exposure might bring that out a bit.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    The hair over the eye doesn't bother me nearly as much as the hairs hanging straight down her nose. Also the OOF flower in the foreground covering her arm is distracting. Overall I like the DOF and the colors.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 9, 2011
    The photo has a slight red cast to it and was a bit underexposed. This to my eye looks better. (Let me know if you object to editing your photo and I'll take it right down.)

1211056949_B6DBW-O.jpg

In Photoshop CS5, I used auto-levels, and then faded that back to about 80% because it was a bit too cool. Slightly sharpened as well.

Oh, and lovely girl and terrific shot.

Regards,
    -joel
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. Here is my attempt to improve.
    the color and exposure. I agree the flower and hair are a distraction.
    The softening was on purpose so I didn't change it.
    Does this make an improvement?

1211285145_Min2X-XL.jpg

Thanks again!