Resizing an image

Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited March 10, 2011 in Finishing School
I would like to have one of my images printed - have never done this before.
I use CS3.
The printing shop requires the following - jpg images cropped to size and resolution - images must be 300ppi.

I wanted to print print part of my image at 20 x 10 inches.
I imagined I should set my cropping tool at a ratio of 4:2 or 10:5 to achieve this.
I spoke to the printing lady and she said no - I have to crop it to the exact size.

To be quite honest I don't know how to do this - she says to use a resizing program.
I want to be careful I don't lose any of the quality of my print because I am upsizing.
My original image is 12.96 x 8.64 at 300ppi.

Thanks for any help.
Lesley

Comments

• HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Well I suppose you could simply create a new PS document that is the exact size of your print at 300 dpi. Then you'd have to place you image into that doc and enlarge it to fit. Your aspect ratio will be different but just place it as you want it in the new document.

You'll probably end up with a 100+ MB photoshop file. But then just do your normal enhancements for print such as print sharpening and save it as a jpg and see how it goes.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thanks Helvegr - not sure I can do that - I thought I remembered seeing a resizing tutorial on this site but cannot find it.
    Lesley
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 10, 2011
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thank you David that was hugely helpful. I am not quite there yet.
    I unticked resample image and cropped my image at the ratio of 10:5.
    Then I have to ensure my image measures 20inches x 10 inches at 300ppi.
    When I change my measurements the ppi changes.
    I have to send my image to the printer at 300ppi and measuring 20x10ins.
    How do I over come this.
    Lesley
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 10, 2011
    I would like to have one of my images printed - have never done this before.
    I use CS3.
    The printing shop requires the following - jpg images cropped to size and resolution - images must be 300ppi.

I wanted to print print part of my image at 20 x 10 inches.
    I imagined I should set my cropping tool at a ratio of 4:2 or 10:5 to achieve this.
    I spoke to the printing lady and she said no - I have to crop it to the exact size.

To be quite honest I don't know how to do this - she says to use a resizing program.
    I want to be careful I don't lose any of the quality of my print because I am upsizing.
    My original image is 12.96 x 8.64 at 300ppi.

Thanks for any help.
    Lesley

Your original image is 12.96 x 8.64 inches at 300ppi. This will not uprez to 20 by 10, or 2 to 1, but 1.5 to 1, or 15 to 10. I assume you planning on cropping a portion of this original image to get to your 2 to 1 ratio. (Be aware, that you do not have enough pixels in your original image in its entirety to create an image 20 x 30 at 300ppi. You will be having PS or some software create new pixels for your image that is going to the printer.)

The most direct route is to simply use your crop tool.

You will need to set your crop tool to 20 inches by 10 inches at 300 ppi and your cropping and image resizing ( uprezzing ) will be done automatically for you by Photoshop. You must enter "20 inches" not just 20 in the box in your crop tool. You must also enter "10 inches" in your crop tool box ( not just 10 ), and then 300 pixels per inch in the resolution box. This will crop and upsize your image to your specified image size for printing. But it will not be the best uprezzing available in PS.

A better way:

Since you NEED 20 x 10 inches at 300 ppi, or 6000 x 3000 pixels, and you only have 12.96 x 300 = 3888 and 8.64 x 300 = 2592 pixels , you will need to create new pixels for your 20 x 10 in image at 300 ppi. The easiest way is to enlarge the whole document at a resolution of 300 ppi, so that you can crop out a portion 20 by 10 inches that is already at 300-ppi.

I suggest enlarging your total image to 25.92 ( 2 x 12.95 inches ) inches by 17.28 ( 2x8.64 inches ) inches at 300 ppi. To do this go to Image >Image size, and enter under Document Size 25.92 inches and 17.28 inches with a resolution of 300 ppi. Leave Resample Image checked, and select Bicubic Best for Enlargement. Now you have your enlarged image on your desktop at 300 ppi.

Now you can use your crop tool at 20 inches and 10 inches with the resolution box left empty ( since your image is already at 300ppi ) and chop out the portion you want at 20 by 10 inches. Save this file and you should be done. You can check it by opening the file and examining the Image>Image Size dialogue box. You should see a file 20 inches by 10 inches at 300ppi. If you do, then you are good to go!

I have a discussion of Cropping and image sizing here
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 10, 2011
    PathFinder - thank you - you are a WIZARD !!! You explained it so well and I am indebited to you.
    Lesley
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 10, 2011
    Glad to help, Lesley, and glad that my little tutorial still is able to help some folks. clap.gif

How about posting what you started with and what you ended up with after cropping so other folks can see how and why you did what you did to get your 20 inch by 10 inch 300ppi image?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin