Stuck Shutter?

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited March 10, 2011 in Cameras
Need some expertise on this. This is taken with my 5D M2. Is this signs of a stuck shutter? Notice the green\yellowish bar across the middle of the frame. Sometimes it's on the bottom. What do you think?
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thanks for including the EXIF with the image. It appears that you used 1/800th shutter speed. I suspect that your light source was from 2 different types of illumination technologies. It looks like there was both fluorescent and incandescent lighting. I suspect that the fluorescent lighting is causing the banding.

If you don't have this problem shooting a plain sky then the problem is not the camera's shutter.

For fluorescent lights you do need to understand that they "flicker" either by 60 cycle line rate or by the rate of their starters. Use slow shutter speeds in fluorescent lighting to allow some overlap of the flicker cycles or, preferably, use electronic flash and overwhelm the fluorescent light altogether.

Even incandescent lights have some flicker because of the line voltage transitions but the heated element of incandescent lights tends to smooth the problem compared to the instantaneous cycling of fluorescent lights.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thank you Ziggy. I was actually taking a photo of something else in the same lighting. I just snapped this shot to show what was happening. I will go outside to test.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I'm pretty certain Ziggy's got yur answer here. Just shoot at a slower shutter speed. Or, turn off the fluorescent lighting and use only the incandescent, or use some flash. The problem you're seeing is also related to this phenomenon.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.