Options

Photog in the news!... for all the wrong reasons

Comments

• Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011

:jawdrop OMG. I can't even imagine thinking that the Facebook reply would be a good way to go. Holy moses. If I was ever in that situation, I would outsource the heck out of the processing just to get it done and get the photos back. If I'm a little over my goal date to have stuff done, I give my clients give certificates or print credits to try to redeem myself to them. I cannot imagine making clients wait for over a year for their photos regardless of how good they are or how much of a nightmare my own life had become. Do right by your clients and they will do right by you. I'm so mad at the photog and I'm not even a client.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    that is exactly why I do outsource my wedding processing.....since 99.9% of all my processing can end in LR without any other PS work at all....I send it out ...it comes back... I upload to a Private gallery...they choose the prints they want and we are done....if they ask for special processing that is extra and they know it....but that is outsourced to the same artist and I do not mark up his fee........That way I can concentrate on shooting and doing the portrait processing...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    It's really nothing new, stuff like this happens quiet often, but usually with cheap wannabe's. My friend waited for her album for 2 years from a local photog. Crazy!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I've got a wedding for a client I'm doing in May. Before she booked me, she made me give her a bunch of references and called to check them all. Why? Because her brother got married last year and the photographer never gave them their photographs, so they're paranoid now, and rightly so.

But yeah, even if you come down with cancer, that's the time to outsource everything, write all your clients a formal apology for the delay and let them know you've got someone on it, and not use that as a time to ruin their wedding memories. Yes it's sad if you're terminally ill and that could and does explain a delay, but there's no reason you can't outsource the work and get someone else to make sure you meet your contract promises.

I hope the clients get their images eventually!
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Sounds to me like the owner is bitter about her bad news...her life is about to end while someone else's is just starting out, and she is the one who was witness to all the great beginnings...like that song from Alanis Morisette's, "isn't it ironic"... a sad situation for everyone involved, but she should do right by her customers. I feel terrible for everyone involved.
    :(
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    I think many here are missing the real issue. You are all honest conscientious people with morals and ethics. You seek to do the right thing.

Not everyone is like that. Does the photographer really have cancer? Who knows. That isn't an excuse. Bottom line this didn't just happen to one couple this happened to many couples that we know of over a period of time. The photographer could have been doing this for a year, two years, or even more.

Sam
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    While i don't condone the actions of any shoddy business person, the way these storys about shooters are always written Chits me to tears.
    They always pull the tear jerk angle like with things in that article " she hopes she can fill the frames in the corner of her apartment that sit there waiting to be filled" just to pad out what is just another bad business story. If the shooter does have cancer, it is the end of the world for her but I doubt anyone is going to die from not having their wedding pics. Yes, they certainly should have them, no question but in the grand scheme of things at a worst case scenario, they won't die without them.

The other thing is these storys are always one sided.
    No where in that article does it say the paper even tried to contact the shooter to get their side of the story. It may well be that they have been undergoing Chemo and been in hospital for the better part of 9 months like my father in law was or bed ridden for over 2 years like my fathers wife presently is.
    The AG apparently is merely trying to get the peoples images to them and the article makes no mention of monetary compensation which I would usually expect in a case like this. That alone tells me there is likley a lot more to the case than the rag is letting on.

I learned a long time ago to get the facts straight before you stick the kniofe into someone especially when they may be down and I would never rely on anything in the media being based on truth or a reliable source of info.
    The other thing is while they Trash this Shooters name and reputation, you will never see the follow up story as to what the AG actually did, any damages they levied or if the shooter is already dead.

I would gaurantee the real story is very different to the one they have published and there are a whole load of facts they have left out.

Thay may also be completely fine and just making up a crock of excuses but no one could possibly know from that article although it is written as always in a way to make you think you know whats going on while only having a fraction of the info and the info they want to give you at that.
    These storys are always written to obtain the most ooh's and ahh's and the truth is only paid attention to enough to avoid outright proveable lies.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Just part of the reason I,

A. Never want to have a bricks and mortar studio (unless we move to BFE and everyone who is already in operation there is kickin' it like the early 90's)

B. Am glad to make money as a sub-contractor.

C. Have provisions in place for other photogs to pick-up my jobs if I get srsly sick or die. I also don't book more than a year and a half out.

This also goes with the fact that I am a full time parent of a 10,6, and eighteen month old, am a crappy sales and business person in general, and think running a "real business" is for squares.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Glort,

If you read the story this isn't about one couple. The AG says at least 19 couples haven't received their photos. This is not a one time event. The photog didn't just have an accident or a debilitating illness pop up after a shoot.

The studio also had at least one employee. Accident or illness, the employee could have given the image files to the couples.

In order to get an AG to get off their duff and look into a nonviolent case like this if very difficult. Hence the 19 cases, rather than one.

AG pursue criminal cases not civil. Monetary awards are handled in civil court.

The studio's phone has been disconnected.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.................

Sam
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Sam wrote: »

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.................

The media or a Journo will spin doctor the facts to try to convince you it's a man eating terradactyl !! rolleyes1.gif

But I do get your point of this case.