Options

Emergency Macro setup

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited September 26, 2005 in Holy Macro
My sigma 105mmEX macro lens is away with sigma-uk hopefully having the iris fixed. It started giving me either error 99s or taking overexposed pics, indicating the iris was not shutting down.

So how to relieve my macro craving in the meantime?

I have some old Pentax kmount extension rings and of course some pentax Kmount 50mm lenses plus an EOS T-mount adapter ring. I removed the T-mount ring from the adapter and found my extension rings would fit into the EOS part of the adapter, so I super-glued the smallest adapter ring to the modified mount- added a few more rings, put the pentax Kmount 50mm lens on the end and attached the whole thing to my EOS 300D.

Tried a few test resolution shots and it was giving me close to 1:1 with a focus distance from the front of the lens of about 2". Main problem was focusing manually with the lens open and then stopping down for the shot whilst maintaining focus (I was handholding this).

Anyway was quite suprised how well shots came out- just goes to show what you can put together if you try!

Garden spider (partial crop)

37561630-L.jpg

Crop showing spinnarettes

37561633-L.jpg

Fly- partial crop- focus not quite correct but body is pretty sharp!

37561637-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    My sigma 105mmEX macro lens is away with sigma-uk hopefully having the iris fixed. It started giving me either error 99s or taking overexposed pics, indicating the iris was not shutting down.

So how to relieve my macro craving in the meantime?

I have some old Pentax kmount extension rings and of course some pentax Kmount 50mm lenses plus an EOS T-mount adapter ring. I removed the T-mount ring from the adapter and found my extension rings would fit into the EOS part of the adapter, so I super-glued the smallest adapter ring to the modified mount- added a few more rings, put the pentax Kmount 50mm lens on the end and attached the whole thing to my EOS 300D.

Tried a few test resolution shots and it was giving me close to 1:1 with a focus distance from the front of the lens of about 2". Main problem was focusing manually with the lens open and then stopping down for the shot whilst maintaining focus (I was handholding this).

Anyway was quite suprised how well shots came out- just goes to show what you can put together if you try!

Garden spider (partial crop)

Crop showing spinnarettes

Fly- partial crop- focus not quite correct but body is pretty sharp!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

running from desk with loud screaming.............:uhoh :smack

god thats scary...I'll have another look later when I'm feeling brave..
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Wow!
    Amazing! Great work and great post!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    wow, wow, and wow.

A skill i am FAR from mastering!

Bravo LV. Innovation often lends unexpectedly amazing results.
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    Thanks all- I'm quite suprised how sharp the pics are- maybe those old pentax lenses are quite good!

Had to add one more shot
    Headshot of the moth Autographa pulchrina- common name "Beautiful Golden Y". The moth is about 18mm long.

Like the punk hairstyle. Shot with the same emergency macro setup.

37570387-L.jpg
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Hi Brian,
    Nice going, emergency setup or not. It's also a little closer than I care to be to a gal like that. I like the web in there as well, it adds some additional form though she really doesn't need any (additional form).

Those 50mm lenses do a nice job, but the DOF is so shallow. That's how I started into macro (50mm reversed) and haven't gone back since I purchased my 100mm f2.8 macro. But in a pinch, I have to say that I'd do the same and sport the 50mm once again.

Thanks for creeping me out with another fine macro,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    I'm always so impressed with your shots. It's nice when someone really knows not only their art, but the science behind it - well enough to construct an emergency setup with super glue and stuff that's "laying around".

Very cool. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Hi Brian,
    Nice going, emergency setup or not. It's also a little closer than I care to be to a gal like that. I like the web in there as well, it adds some additional form though she really doesn't need any (additional form).

Those 50mm lenses do a nice job, but the DOF is so shallow. That's how I started into macro (50mm reversed) and haven't gone back since I purchased my 100mm f2.8 macro. But in a pinch, I have to say that I'd do the same and sport the 50mm once again.

Thanks for creeping me out with another fine macro,
    Chris
    Thanks Chris,
    Diodn't find the DOF to be a problem- pretty sure it's about the same as my normal macro lens- just need to stop down (around F11) for reasonable shots. You obviously know your spiders! (ie it's a female).

DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm always so impressed with your shots. It's nice when someone really knows not only their art, but the science behind it - well enough to construct an emergency setup with super glue and stuff that's "laying around".

Very cool. thumb.gif
    Thanks Erik,
    I just knew I'd kept my old pentax lens stuff for a reason- My pentax cameras ( a km and ME ) haven't worked for about 10 years.

Brian V.