Options

My 3rd Wedding: A few from my first batch initial processing

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited April 23, 2011 in Weddings
So my friend is getting married in about a week and a half and just recently needed someone to fill in last minute to take her pictures. We worked something out earlier this month and I was going to take most of the money to buy some goodies I've had my eye on and rent a D700 to test and use as a "backup" and a couple dreamy lenses for the weekend.

In one of my e-mails making arrangements, I strongly encouraged her to set pictures as a priority especially the ones with her and the groom. I told her that carving out some alone time would yield the best results. She called me a couple days ago and asked if I could meet up with just her and the groom and do the pictures yesterday since she was having the trial run of her hair done that day. She thought they wouldn't have people standing around watching, not have the wedding day nerves and really take the time to enjoy it.

I said sure we could do that. But I was going to have to stick with my nifty fifty (I brought my Tamron 28-70 2.8, but didn't even end up using it) for a lot of the shots (had some cool lenses for rental next weekend). It was cold and rainy, but she found a nice restaurant and fortunately they had some gorgeous window light. I put them at a high top table by the windows, they ordered some champagne and I just kind of shot away.

Here are my first few that I've initially processed in Lightroom only. My main goal was to let the natural light speak for itself and not be heavyhanded with the processing. I made just a few minor adjustments to the RAW, but these are close to SOOC.

On a few of them, I took down the clarity a bit to help her skin. I don't have specific skin software and didn't do any photoshop work on the skin.

These are just a few from the set in front of those windows. I'll probably be sharing more later.

Comments & Critique are welcome as always.

1211429875_y7mrh-L.jpg

1211455259_j8kJc-L.jpg

1211458540_Bp753-L.jpg

1211429214_b7Hhx-L.jpg

1211443215_URgwt-L.jpg

1211457314_6Khn6-L.jpg

1211428145_zEwxN-L.jpg

1211457446_4MyjM-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Very nice! I love #5, great images for almost sooc!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Very nice set! I love #4. In #2 I wish the frame hits her a bit higher up the eyes instead of the lashes, but that's nit picking.

I'm glad she prioritized for the photos of the two of them! Now she has your pretty pictures :)
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Yummy light!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    She is going to be thrilled! These are beautiful!
  • Options
    FullHousePhotographyFullHousePhotography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2011
    Those are very well done! You are lucky that she was willing to get into the dress and get all "dolled" up for a special early session. I have tried to get clients to do this in the weddings I've shot, but with no success... too much work, they say!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Very nice work here, #5 is by far my favorite, just love it :)
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Really nice work, Molly.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    Thank you everyone for your kind comments! I was so pleased that the restaurant had such beautiful window light for us to take advantage of.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    In #2 I wish the frame hits her a bit higher up the eyes instead of the lashes, but that's nit picking.
    Thank you, you're right. Nit pick away! I like to hear all comments so I can improve on all the details.
  • Options
    scdsuccessscdsuccess Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 15, 2011
    #2 & 5 is stunning.

Where were you on my wedding! Laughing.gif.

Excellent photos.

Maybe a little soft focusing on some photos.... just my opinion
  • Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I am so glad you had a chance to take these. I too wish this was the norm to do a couples session before the wedding. That way there is not need to steal them away from their guests and the fun of the reception for all the couples images. If we could get them to realize the investment in their dress for the day the focus should be on capturing as much of them or her rather in the dress that was an investment and the way to have as much memory of the day is in images. And they could enjoy the investment of all that goes on at the wedding reception. Family and friends. The food the band all of it!

Nice job! I love photography but love looking at all sorts of wedding images. Thanks for sharing these!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Nice work Molly! Since this is just initial processing, you may be planning other things, but I would suggest converting some to black and white (#4 is a good example) and maybe running some through Color Efex Pro, if you have it. But great natural lighting and beautiful photos! Congrats!
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2011
    Oops I missed some of these comments earlier. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    scdsuccess wrote: »
    #2 & 5 is stunning.

Where were you on my wedding! Laughing.gif.

Excellent photos.

Maybe a little soft focusing on some photos.... just my opinion

I understand what you mean about the focusing. Some I wonder if I might have missed the focus just a smidge with such a narrow aperture and some of that might be because I took down the clarity a bit on some of them to help out her skin a little bit.

mbonocore wrote: »
    Nice work Molly! Since this is just initial processing, you may be planning other things, but I would suggest converting some to black and white (#4 is a good example) and maybe running some through Color Efex Pro, if you have it. But great natural lighting and beautiful photos! Congrats!
    I've not familiar with Color Efex Pro. What kind of software is it? I'm a big fan of B&W as well, so I did make sure to convert some. For some reason I only posted color before. Not sure why.

Here's a couple in B&W. (Sorry about the big fat watermark - they're on my smugmug site in a watermarked gallery.)

1212359160_ZFmhY-L-1.jpg

1212374065_TtmYV-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    met wrote: »
    ...I've not familiar with Color Efex Pro. What kind of software is it? I'm a big fan of B&W as well, so I did make sure to convert some. For some reason I only posted color before. Not sure why.
    With the right amount of finesse, I've never needed auxiliary programs for B&W conversions, I do all my B&W converting in Lightroom. Or in-camera, even, haha. Creating an impactful, timeless B&W image is 90% practice/experience, and just 10% tools...

Having said that, Color Efex Pro is one of the most highly regarded add-on / plug-in programs for Lightroom / Photoshop. I don't know exactly how it works, but it's very popular and at least worth a free trial if you can integrate it into your workflow without adding too much time...

But, good shooting either way! Your friend is lucky to have your photos.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Note: I haven't read the entire thread.

When it comes to B&W conversions there are a ton of ways / methods / tools to accomplish this.

One of the best plug-ins and easiest to use is Nik Silver Pro II.

Sam