Options

Cleaning up website

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
trying to clean up the web site a bit, let me know what you think.

Also, does it seem easy to navigate?

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve?

http://www.simpsonbrothers.net/

Comments

• Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I'm liking it. A couple things I noticed that you already may be aware of....

1. In your transportation, Trains, gallery you have some weird keywords.
    2. Your Yosemite gallery has the scrolling film view, your Santa Cruz gallery has the "classic" view with the thumbnails on the left. I would make all your galleries the same. I personally like the format of the Santa Cruz gallery.

These are just some things I noticed as a first impression.

You have some incredible shots in the galleries I checked out!!!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thanks, I fixed the gallery view.
    The keywords, I have to go through a ton of photos and remove/add. That'll be a day when i'm bored. :D
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I noticed you don't have a "about us" tab. I'm not sure if it's important to have a "about us" tab or not. I'm sure others will put their opinion here. Most of the photo websites I visit do tell a little about the photographer, but I'm not sure if it's important......just an observation.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Not sure that anyone would want to know about me :D
  • Options
    JoiJoiJoiJoi Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    id make the social icons the same size, it looks a bit weird being different size ><

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    A couple of little things jump out at me. This could be your preference, it is just what stood out to me.

1. Your banner is intermittent. It shows on some pages but not others.
    2. Your sections of commercial and portrait are client galleries. By having them listed in this manner it seemed that they would be a portfolio.
    3. This is my friend - family showing.
    4. You allow people to share or collect your images.
    5. You have all these keywords but no ability to search on your site. If these are simply for web ranking, why not hide them from public view?
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    dickonclarkdickonclark Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2011
    trying to clean up the web site a bit, let me know what you think.

Also, does it seem easy to navigate?

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve?

http://www.simpsonbrothers.net/

Looks terrific! I like the fade ins. The increase in Iphone use is so much that sites with galleries have to be built in Javascript ( Jquery ) Flash won't work which I believe yours is. I've tried the Galleria on my site which you can see at www.dickonclark.co.uk which works quite well. I'm not a programmer so plug- ins are my only option. Would be interested in how you did it, are you a Web developer yourself?

Regards

Dickon Clark
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I noticed you don't have a "about us" tab. I'm not sure if it's important to have a "about us" tab or not. I'm sure others will put their opinion here. Most of the photo websites I visit do tell a little about the photographer, but I'm not sure if it's important......just an observation.

When I visit a site, the first thing I look for is an 'About' Page. :D

You might want to change your title tag to include what you do and where your located. Read my SEO for the Photographer link in my sig.
  • Options
    ccsccs Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    A couple of little things jump out at me. This could be your preference, it is just what stood out to me.

1. Your banner is intermittent. It shows on some pages but not others.
    2. Your sections of commercial and portrait are client galleries. By having them listed in this manner it seemed that they would be a portfolio.
    3. This is my friend - family showing.
    4. You allow people to share or collect your images.
    5. You have all these keywords but no ability to search on your site. If these are simply for web ranking, why not hide them from public view?

How do you hide keywords from public view? I can't see a built in function. IS there CSS around for this?

thanks! :)

Chris
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    Bump.

how can you hide keywords from being listed below a photo in your galleries?

e.g. here:
    http://www.quarkview.com/Portraits/Selected-Portraits/11907647_f3gCG#847705676_MgEro

Thanks!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,272 moderator
    edited March 13, 2011
    ccs wrote: »
    how can you hide keywords from being listed below a photo in your galleries?
    From just that gallery:
    .notLoggedIn .gallery_11907647 #photoKeywords {
        display: none;
    }

Or from all galleries:
    .notLoggedIn #photoKeywords {
        display: none;
    }

This code only removes them when you are not logged in.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    awesome! thanks so much.
  • Options
    supremespy2supremespy2 Banned Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2011
    Beautiful photos! It did a take a while for your site to load on my computer, not sure if anyone else had this problem. I would suggest you place the information you listed toward the bottom of your homepage into a footer with a separate section for each (simple description, contact information and social media buttons). These are all important for potential clients/buyers to find or interact with you. Having it grouped into 3 sections in a footer allows the information to be displayed on each page that the visitor lands on.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Beautiful photos! It did a take a while for your site to load on my computer, not sure if anyone else had this problem. I would suggest you place the information you listed toward the bottom of your homepage into a footer with a separate section for each (simple description, contact information and social media buttons). These are all important for potential clients/buyers to find or interact with you. Having it grouped into 3 sections in a footer allows the information to be displayed on each page that the visitor lands on.

Hi! Who was this addressed to? Using the reply button makes it clear. But Im not sure if you intended this for me (im assuming not because it doesn't sound too much like my site) or someone else!! :D