Chernobyl 120

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited March 16, 2011 in Landscapes
I recently got the scanner hooked up at home and went to work scanning some of my medium-format pics from the last year. Right now I'm shooting with just a Diana ( "fancy" Holga) so of course everything is severely hit or miss, but I thought that this look would be appropriate for that trip to Chernobyl we took last fall.

These were all taken with a Diana F+ (no flash) and Fuji Neopan Acros.

1211633693_SXTWT-L.jpg1211620276_rbsLT-L.jpg

1211633720_uX85E-L.jpg1211635366_hK3fU-L.jpg

1211644164_gc3Fe-L.jpg1211637939_3wx2Y-L.jpg

1211620292_JhAyP-L.jpg1211640622_6QX8t-L.jpg

1211649102_wtLft-L.jpg1211635363_F8pTa-L.jpg

Our scanner is just a run-of-the-mill consumer-grade thing so nothing really fancy, but I'm still working out my film to digital workflow. :scratch

And if anyone feels like more visual torture, there are a few even blurrier and darker pics from this set in the gallery here. :lol3

Hope everyone's having a great week!

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    The images really convey a sense of yesterday.

Sam

PS: I have a scanner that might yield better results. I have negative holders for 35mm and 120 film. Feel free to give me a call.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    a very appropriate camera for the location! lovely :D
    //Leah
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Very cool images, they have the feel as if they are being shown by the spirit of those who lost there lives and livelyhoods many years ago. There are a lot of archetypes viewers can take away from your images, the one that comes through to me in your second to last image is the lost souls. Damn sorry to get all morose. Nice work.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    The images really convey a sense of yesterday.

Sam

PS: I have a scanner that might yield better results. I have negative holders for 35mm and 120 film. Feel free to give me a call.

Thanks, guys. I agree that the lomo was probably a great camera for this kind of journey. I just wish the sky hadn't been so dark the whole time (or that I'd brought 400 speed film)!

Sam hmmm that is tempting, tempting.... I am torn between the ease of just having my lab do it, or investing in a better scanner at home. There's value in taking care of everything yourself to your standards, but I also don't have that many hours in a day.

I just received a new 35mm camera yesterday so I have 36 exposures to figure this all out. lol3.gif
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    wow. incredible series. love the gritty texture and the softness. really works well with the subject matter, and creates a somber, forsaken, worn mood. very evocative. brilliantly done, and great choice in gear and processing. and while i would be interested in seeing some of the shots with different/brighter lighting, i think the overcast drab sky is just perfect.
  • Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    kinda eerie now that Japan may be looking at the same kind of thing
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Schmoo, just plain breathtaking. Nothing more to say. I really like this shot http://www.schmootography.com/Lomography/Diana/Chernobyl-120/16138028_3ZiQe#1211646834_K67PZ-L-LB
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Amazing work :)
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Hey Stephanie,

I LOVE #1 and #2. This camera does give some really nostalgic prints, doesn't it? All in all a great series. clap.gif

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    shniks wrote: »
    Hey Stephanie,

I LOVE #1 and #2. This camera does give some really nostalgic prints, doesn't it? All in all a great series. clap.gif

Cheers,

Thanks, and I agree 1000%. Even though I plan on acquiring more "sophisticated" film cameras that work "better" I don't think I'll ever stop shooting lomography!
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    These are so freakin cool! 2 is just extraordinary! Thanks for sharing these Schmoo!
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    very eerie feeling to these photos, perfect for the location. thumb.gif
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Great series Schmoo. As a fellow lover of abandoned buildings, I suppose this is one truly eerie place. #2 however is my favorite shot.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac