An abstract light bulb

Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited March 11, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
So I've been shooting photos for years but this year finally decided to really put more effort in to it (hence signing up for smugmug and dgrin). Personally, I like a lot of deep shadows and stark lighting in my photos, but I didn't want all my photos to start looking the same. So this photo goes in the complete opposite direction.

While with my girlfriend in a craft store, I walked past this tacky looking glass jewel for 3 bucks and thought maybe I could use it in a photo. Here's the result. The subject is a compact fluorescent light bulb with the diamond held up to the lens like a filter.

I'm curious what you guys think of it. I know one problem, obviously the 3 dollar diamond isn't optical quality glass so it really softened the edges of the bulb but I think it's abstract enough that it still worked out.

1208194036_UUpQE-M-1.jpg

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Interesting enough concept result from using the diamond glass up front.
    I suspect you were doing everything handheld which is a neat trick in itself. Might account for some of the softness beyond the optical quality of
    the diamond trinket glass. One of which I have myself. :D
    The final shown here isn't speaking much to me overall as is though I do
    feel if a person really just had too find something with strength and impact,
    the idea could find its way to that. Perhaps with reworking the shot you
    have already or in another effort given more time to look at the abstract
    potentials in various ways. Yada, yada. Bout enough out of me. rolleyes1.gif
    I may have to dig out my trinket and give similar a go sometime. Worth
    the while for a interesting result. Do love abstracts.
    Michael
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Yea it was all hand held, a slight change to the angle or position of the diamond relative to the lens makes a big difference on how the image segmented. At first I had the lens and diamond all centered up and straight ahead, it looked like a kaleidoscope and kind of lame. Just too symmetrical. With this one the diamond is moved to the left and pointing to the right.

Maybe I should try a different color or something or a whole new subject but I'd like to hear more opinions on this one first.