Options

Basketball Strobes - Mixing Flash types? Any concerns?

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited March 11, 2011 in Sports
I am a Nikon user and I have 2 SB-800 flashes. I currently use my two SB-800s remotely with Radio Poppers from the baseline to the foul line just over the head of the players. I think I need to get two more flashes, primarily for bouncing. I will also use Radio Poppers for these flash units.

I know the SB-800s are expensive and I am thinking of maybe getting some more cost effective strobes for bouncing. There are much cheaper options out there such as:

- LumoPro LP160
- Yongnuo YN-560
- Vivitar 285HV

Are there any concerns with mixing types of flashes in a gym? I heard the YN-560 isn't always consistent in the power that it shoots. Will the WB be off and inconsistent? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    MD-

I do it all the time. I have Canon 540EZ's I just picked up from KEH and they are roughly the same GN as all my flashes so I don't really have a concern. Maybe look at some older SB-26 or SB-28 from KEH? Hell, if you are using them on manual, even the Canon 540EZ 's which are $100. I have a Vivitar. I don't use it. Recycle time is just deadly at BB games. Yongnou, Have heard too many die than work.. dunno about the LP160.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Just checked.. KEH has SB-28's for $94 in EX condition, $84 in BGN. The EX condition I got looked like the just came out of the original packaging!

Also, the only thing I don't like.. which is minor, about the older flashes.. is they don't (at least canon) support 1/3 stop increments in manual. Not so critical for BB or sports.. but strobist portraits, etc you may need to carry a little ND gel set with you. The newer flashes can do 1/8 power + 1/3, older are just 1/8, 1/16, 1/4, etc.
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Jim,

Excellent. I had never heard of KEH before. I see the EX condition for $94. I am buying two this weekend.

Thanks for the tip.

MD
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    phatmanphatman Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    MD
    FWIW... i strobe indoor football and soccer w/vivitar 285HV using cybersynchs. i shoot canon and manuel. I have the DIY external batteries for the 285s. they work like a charm and they are less than 90$ W/ the DIY batteries.
    B