So I'm really short...

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited March 13, 2011 in People
5'1" to be exact. I just met with a model who I'll be working with in a couple weeks and he's 6'4". Yikes!

Soo... to all the short photogs out there... do you have any tricks or suggestions? Do you just carry a stool around the whole time or ride on someone's shoulders or force your model to remain seated for the duration of the flight or what? Worst case scenario, I'll end up with 200 stunning shots of his abs.:rofl

Thanks!
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I would try to elevate my camera angle some. Shooting at an up angle can be very un flattering. Try a three step ladder as they can be very useful for a high angle downward shot also.
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
  • FullHousePhotographyFullHousePhotography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2011
    I recently shot my brother-in-law's engagement... he's about 6'6" and I'm around 5'10". I used a two step folding stool that I bought for the express purpose of shooting (it comes in handy for shooting everything!). Another thing I did was get him down, and the bride-to-be up, whenever possible. Some sample shots:
    1146446533_gCrF9-M.jpg

1146447499_PvuxV-M.jpg

1146448988_puF4M-M.jpg

1147388268_wCzJq-M.jpg
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    Soo... to all the short photogs out there... do you have any tricks or suggestions? Do you just carry a stool around the whole time or ride on someone's shoulders or force your model to remain seated for the duration of the flight or what?

Thanks!

OK I am 5' 5", and I use this platform ladder. In fact I use it all around the house as well (painting etc), but its great on photoshoots, not just for tall subjects, but because it gives interesting points of view. It adds about 2- 2.5 ft in height.

6552.jpg

http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/workplatform.php

I like it because there is lots of room to stand on, and even move around, vs a step ladder, which is uncomfortable to stand on for any period of time, and you have to move the ladder if you want different angles.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    OK I am 5' 5", and I use this platform ladder. In fact I use it all around the house as well (painting etc), but its great on photoshoots, not just for tall subjects, but because it gives interesting points of view. It adds about 2- 2.5 ft in height.

6552.jpg

http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/workplatform.php

I like it because there is lots of room to stand on, and even move around, vs a step ladder, which is uncomfortable to stand on for any period of time, and you have to move the ladder if you want different angles.

Very cool! I'd go with that!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    :D

camonastick2.jpg

HAHAHA! I love it.

That step looks like a really good plan. I agree that a step ladder seems less than ideal... I'm sure I'd be the one photog who just couldn't stand on a step ladder and look through the viewfinder on the camera at the same time. I'd definitely fall off and break something :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    If you're gonna get that platform ladder, make sure the legs are fully extended and locked. I've lost count of how many times I've come crashing down off mine. Luckily, I only use it for stuff around the house, never for photos. So no broken cameras, just spilled paint, plaster, dropped nail guns, a few bruises and a cut the required stitches.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Cosco makes some really light step ladders. I have a 2-step model and a 3-step model, and they go to every shoot with me. (Even though I am 6'1".) So light that you can lift them with a finger, but really sturdy. Bought them at Lowes.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    fs01.jpg

Folds flat, and mine fits nicely into my wheelie location bag - I always take it with me. And I'm 5'8"! The one I'm using at the moment is actually a bit taller than that one, has bright green polka dots, and I picked it up at Marshalls for $10. What's not to love? :D

PS you can also use it as impromptu seating for subjects.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    If you're gonna get that platform ladder, make sure the legs are fully extended and locked. I've lost count of how many times I've come crashing down off mine. Luckily, I only use it for stuff around the house, never for photos. So no broken cameras, just spilled paint, plaster, dropped nail guns, a few bruises and a cut the required stitches.

Agree. But, you only do that once, and lesson learned
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    So, once upon a time I had a 40 person family photo to shoot, in a teeny tiny garden. I brought a 6 foot step ladder along, and was happily using it. Wanted to change lenses, tried to climb down quickly, got my foot stuck in a rung and - well, you've guessed it, went crashing to the ground. I actually didn't have time to land semi gracefully, and landed on one hand and my lens! Lens hood saved the glass, but both my body and pride were seriously bruised. rolleyes1.gif

I'd go with a platform instead of a ladder!

ann
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    Agree. But, you only do that once, and lesson learned

I guess I'm a slow learner because I think I've done it at least 7 or 8 times. rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    If they are standing and higher than you something to step up on is certainly necessary. I had to use a 4 ft step ladder at a recent event for awards presentations because they decided to add a platfrom into the mix. Two very common mistakes is shooting tall folks from too low of an angle and children from too high of an angle. If you cant get up to them then find poses where you can get them down to you!
    Canon CPS Gold Member