A visit to St. Augustine

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Well I have been on an extended hiatus from photography and haven't posted in quite a while. The winters are brutal up here on top of the mountain (westerners would call it a hill) and windchill temps of -32 F are not uncommon. late February and March are particularly miserable what with freezing rain on top of snow and the all too frequent "ice storms". I recently packed up my gear and hopped a plane to florida. In mid flight, while browsing this forum, it occurred to me that Tom (aka Black Mamba) lived a few hours from where I was going to be staying. Impulsively I PM'd him and asked if he would like to meet up. Long story short, I drove the three hours across florida from the west to east coast and met him in St. Augustine. We spent about seven hours together and had a great time. I came home with over 350 images (fortunately not too many were keepers :D ). I've started the tedious post processing and will be boring you all for awhile with my trip snapshots :rolleyes I can't believe how much photoshop stuff I've forgotten.

St. Augustine is so beautiful. The architecture is extremely ornate and I love the bold colors. We just don't get much of that up here in the northeast. So here goes (apologies to notebook users...these are large images but I feel they show the detail much better).

This old building houses City Hall and the fabulous Lightner Museum. I especially love the combination of sandstone and concrete.

1212979238_8j8zP-XL.jpg

1213387125_TRena-XL.jpg

1212807793_UCPPq-XL.jpg

1212764287_kjzc7-XL.jpg

1212888034_P236k-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    I tell you, Jack. I don't know anyone who shoots buildings and architectural details any better than you. Like a lot of folks, I'm sure hoping you'll be more active for a spell.

You're right, of course. Anybody interested in architecture and colors should get their fanny to St. Augustine ASAP.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Good to see you post. These are lovely...nice colors...crisp and clear...looks like postcards. Like the detail in the last one.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I tell you, Jack. I don't know anyone who shoots buildings and architectural details any better than you. Like a lot of folks, I'm sure hoping you'll be more active for a spell.

You're right, of course. Anybody interested in architecture and colors should get their fanny to St. Augustine ASAP.

Tom

Howdy Tom

Thanks for your kind words. I sure enjoyed our time together in St. Augustine last week. Thinking of making another trip down before it gets too HOT. Right now it's snowing here eek7.gif Wish is was there!

Jack
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Hey Jack,

I'll agree with Tom here, you sure do architecture right thumb.gif

Your a lucky fella to get to spend that much time with Tom! I'm sure if we looked-up "Country Gentleman" in the encyclopedia, Tom's picture would be there! Glad ya'll had a good time!
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    The eyes feel like their staring right back at me. Nice series of photos.

As for the cold temps .. it sure does put a damper on wanting to take photos. I've been a slump for some times now. Wish my hubby would pack me up and take me to Florida :D
    edited March 14, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    Good to see you post. These are lovely...nice colors...crisp and clear...looks like postcards. Like the detail in the last one.

Thanks for the welcome back Eia. and for the nice comments.

Jack
    edited March 14, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Jack,

I'll agree with Tom here, you sure do architecture right thumb.gif

Your a lucky fella to get to spend that much time with Tom! I'm sure if we looked-up "Country Gentleman" in the encyclopedia, Tom's picture would be there! Glad ya'll had a good time!

Howdy Randy

Thanks for looking. Glad you liked them. Tom sure is a great guy. We had a great time together. Maybe I'll get a chance someday to get out your way and met the "Texas Contingent"

Jack
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Those are all very nice. Love the vivid color as well as the details! WOW!
    edited March 15, 2011
    Gabby G wrote: »
    Those are all very nice. Love the vivid color as well as the details! WOW!

Thanks for looking and the nice comments Gabby.

Jack
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Cool shots, Jack. The last one is my favorite from this series. Reminds me of Narnia. :D You got great lens and camera, and of course great eyes! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/