Fogo Island Boats and Stages - Yesterday's Outing

camperbccamperbc Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited March 14, 2011 in Landscapes

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Nice set. Looks like nice sharp lenses. I think I like the 1st the best but I think you are missing an opportunity with the B&W conversion. The dinghy in the center of the picture, which I think is your subject, is lost. It has about the same luminosity and contrast as the surrounding area. If that is where you want some emphasis I think you need to brighten the dinghy or darken the surroundings so that it stands out more. Perhaps even give it a touch more local contrast to help it along.
  • camperbccamperbc Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2011
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    camperbc wrote: »
    It's like this. I wasn't going to respond at all, but your "comment" has been irking me a bit, so here it is. Why would I wish to change the scene from the way it really was... from the way I remember it to be? (other than the b/w conversion, of course) Unlike you, I like to capture scenes as I see them, rather than as to what my Photoshop skill level may be. Why "make" a picture in PP, when you can just capture the real thing? All that matters is that I am truly happy with it; your comments on how to change the image into something it is not is... well, ridiculous to me, and not the view of a real photographer. There, I said it. No need to reply, as I already know what you would say.

wow... a bit testy, aren't we? just because you don't agree with someone else's suggestions doesn't mean they are "not the view of a real photographer"... kindly tell us your idea of a "real" photographer? do you think that anyone who uses Photoshop is not a "real" photographer? i'd bet there are a ton of famous photographers who'd disagree with that notion... some of the greatest of all time have relied heavily on post-processing, either digital or darkroom, to achieve their best results.

i personally like your work in general, and for the most part i agree that what counts is whether you're happy with it, but it's a rare photo that can't be improved with a bit of adjusting in PP. in this case, i don't think Hawkeye was being overly critical, just offering an idea to help balance the exposure a bit. but if any suggestions for improvement are going to be met with this kind of response, you're not likely to get many folks to offer a critique...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    WOW, talk about open mouth, insert foot!! Totally agree with your comments Rocky!

To be honest camperbc, when I first looked at the first photo, I did not even see the boat for a couple seconds. I think that hawkeye978 has offered a good critique. It is certainly up to you to decide whether you want to try it or not, but just because you don't like it, does not mean that hawkeye978 has not given "the view of a real photographer". Take a look at his website and then think again before you shove the other foot in.

For the most part, I am here, on these forums, to learn. Sure I post pics that I feel are good, but there are many here with a lot more experience than I, and I would be foolish not to try and learn from that.

I also visited your website and I personally like the colored version of the first photo a lot better. I also saw many photos on your site that are very nice!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95