Invitation Critique and help

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited March 13, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
My sons birthday is coming up and making invitation for his friends and family. Plan is to print these out as a 5x7 and hand out.

While I am pretty happy with most of it, I am not happy with the text and looking for help with that. So any suggestions, help or comments appreciated.

Censored for public forums....

1214277216_vkZXb-XL.jpg

Comments

• Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Hi Toshido,

You're definitely off to a good start. Here's a few crits on your type since you asked for it.

Color-wise, a blue background with anything close to red type is going to make your eyes go crazy trying to read it. I realize you are trying to stay within a certain color scheme with red and blue, but if it were me, I would darken the blue fairly dramatically and then reverse out the type in white or something very light.

In terms of the type in general, I would make a greater contrast between the headline "I want you at my birthday party!" and the rest of the body copy. You can do that in terms of scale, color or both. Just like with photography, your eyes need a focus point to know what to read first and know how to travel down the page. I would keep away from the top edge a little more as well. Be weary of the negative space and how the type balances on the page.

Anyway, there's my two cents. In the end, as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    I agree with Rob's comments.

I would also lose a bunch of words. It's a bit redundant, especially at the beginning.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Thank you.

Gives me something to think about while I work on it tonight.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Take 2...

I think it is improving...

I still want to do something with the "I want you" larger text, just not sure what I like yet...

1215037593_dzdfA-XL.jpg

Critiques and comments still welcome.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Nice!

The top two lines could use some custom kerning.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops