Custom Domain Question

mestesmestes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited March 15, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I currently have a domain that I have used for years and have web hosting for.

The domain is registered with godaddy.com which is mattestes.com

I have web hosting and email through eleven2.com

I want to be able to make it so when someone types the url it goes to my smugmug site but still be able to keep the hosting so i can have email.

Is this possible?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Let our domain experts help, please write our Support Heroes and we'll assist thanks!
  • mestesmestes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2011
    I did that was told it would be sent to the domain guru and then instead the email got marked as answered twice now.

That is why I am posting it here.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 14, 2011
    Hi Matt,

Yes you can use a CNAME to do that. GoDaddy allows you to set that up in the DNS. I have instructions for GoDaddy here: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/CNAME+Custom+Domain+Name+Help

Do not change the Email MX records and it should be fine.

If you have the nameservers pointed at eleven2.com's servers, you would need to make the change there. I do not have instructions for their hosting so you may need to contact them to make the change. All you need is the www CNAME pointed at domains.smugmug.com and the @ A record pointed at 208.79.45.23
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • mestesmestes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 15, 2011
    ok so If i set up a cname at godaddy.com and point it at domains.smugmug.com and the @ A record pointed at 208.79.45.23 it will work fine and email will still work if I leave MX record alone.

do I keep the name servers for the domain as they are now they are setup for eleven2?

I seen your instructions for godaddy but it seems they have changed their dns management tools and now require you to pay $2.99 a month to manage DNS records other than name servers.