1st attempt at dog portrait

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in People
Not a person per se, but a member of our family, 14 year old mutt, just after a clip.

I set up with flash to camera right at about 1/2 power (bounced into reflective umbrella) and a white reflector camera left. 1/100, 50mm lens at 2.8~4.

In retrospect, I should have had the flash on camera left to highlight her good eye and not the one with a cataract.... :dunno

0_0_dbd7f0504d0f64b749b9b2327f8db5b8_1

0_0_1c4c62168e2a24b00521edccf37050ef_1

0_0_548983113a8f8564d9525b3229a0f9f3_1
Lee Wiren

Comments

• JoiJoiJoiJoi Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    looks good! i would fix the color in his eyes though

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I think the posing is good in all three. The comp in 1 and 3 are good. I feel there is too munch room on top and the bottom is cropped a little to close to his paws on 2.

All are underexposed and light seems a little hard. Try bring the strobe in closer to soften the shadows.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Agree with all the C&C above; the images seem a little flat to me, could use some contrast or a rim light to pop her out from the background a bit. On the positive side, great posing and what a good dog to let you flash her! My dog (and others I've worked with) are scared of flash and I'm forced to stick with modeling lights and fluorescents.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Nice shots. Try raising your black point up a bit and maybe cloning the good eye and do a horizontal flip and put the good eye over the bad one.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 15, 2011
    For your first attempt, I think you did very well. I like all three poses.

One thing you're missing is some light under the chin. This could be accomplished with a silver reflector placed on the floor and under the flash to reflect a bit more light up.

I don't know if you have any other light modifiers but It'd be cool to see that with 1/16 power and maybe a grid on the flash. I'd also like to see something shot at f/5.6 for a bit more DOF too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?