Outside my zone....

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited March 16, 2011 in Landscapes
We have a forthcoming club comp based on the set theme "Framed" and I need to submit 2 images in this round.

Less than a fortnight to get it sorted, so with a nice sunset promised, I set off for the docks at Preston to see if I could find anything.

This is probably as good as my landscape eye could find based on the theme, but I rather fancy it would not do too well, so may have to think of something else, but I thought I would broach an opinion.

I'll probably title it something like "Electric Sentinels" or something equally corny/crass (*delete as required!)

WDYT?

Exif:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Image Date: 2011-03-13 19:09:07 +0000
Focal Length: 55mm
Focus Distance: Infinite
Aperture: f/38.0
Exposure Time: 1.000 s
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: +0.50 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Exposure Mode: Auto Bracketing
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: Paul Iddon
Copyright: A View of the UK - Paul Iddon Photography

800dock4c.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    I like the basic composition but I think the docks on the right are competing with the subject of your picture. So I wonder how a more vertical crop would work. Crop from the right to eliminate most of the docks but keep your framing, reflections and the nice sunset colors. You may have to do some cloning in the lower right after cropping to eliminate the docks.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I agree with the direction that Tom's going. This pic was actually fairly slow to load on my screen, so it loaded from top to bottom. I actually loved what I saw at first but as it approached the bottom of the "O" I was less impressed. I think a square crop or something would be so much more powerful! You have a ton of potential here with the framing and the colors. Nice work!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I like it. Very creative, like how the circle is placed and also how the shape of the circle is being rhymed with the curves of the metal railings. I especially love the placement of the circle and the towers and reflection. Nice work.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I am considering all options. :)

Cheers folks.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk