Dance Competition

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 14, 2011 in People
After my first attempt at shooting hockey at a public rink, I thought that was a tough shoot. Now that, as a favor to a relative, I did a shoot at a dance competition, I think I'll go back to hockey.

The lighting is poor and inconsistant across the stage. Flashes aren't allowed and none of my zooms were fast enough. I hauled out my "nifty fifty", found a spot on stage that had decent lighting and basically waited for interesting action in that part of the stage. This one was my favorite out of the fifty or so I shot that day.

Comments (good or bad) are welcome.

Comments

• vequeveque Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    I sympathize, I've tried to shoot dance and have had the same problems. It took a lot of practice and gear upgrades to get decent shots.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Anything in a theatrical setting is tough - fast glass and the highest iso you can muster are required, especially for dance!

That's a nice shot above - terrific comp! It looks slightly fuzzy, but I think that's low resolution from the compression on the attachment (?).
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Well I think you did a fine job considering the circumstances...
    Good work!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I think this a great shot overall. Maybe do some localized sharpening on her face and torso to make her pop a bit from the background and leg motion.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    veque wrote: »
    I sympathize, I've tried to shoot dance and have had the same problems. It took a lot of practice and gear upgrades to get decent shots.
    Not sure I wan't to spend the 2 grand needed for the right glass for this kind of work. If I did it regularly, it would certainly be a no-brainer.
    divamum wrote: »
    Anything in a theatrical setting is tough - fast glass and the highest iso you can muster are required, especially for dance!

That's a nice shot above - terrific comp! It looks slightly fuzzy, but I think that's low resolution from the compression on the attachment (?).
    Thanks so much! The posted shot does look a bit softer than the original on my screen.
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Well I think you did a fine job considering the circumstances...
    Good work!
    Thank- you too!
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    I think this a great shot overall. Maybe do some localized sharpening on her face and torso to make her pop a bit from the background and leg motion.

Great idea! I played with that a bit and it did make her "pop". Thanks for the suggestion.