Here's A Chevy You've Never Seen Before

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited March 14, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Quite an interesting car. This is a 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne. It's the only one ever made and toured the world as part of GM's Motorama show. It's main purpose was to showcase the introduction of Chevy's new V8 engine, which was the 265 C.I. small bolck ....the forerunner of the most famous line of engines ever produced. Future versions of this engine were the mainstay of the hot rodding world for years to come.

As with most concept cars, this car was scheduled for destruction after it's useful show period was ended....in this case that was 1956. The person in charge of the scraping facility for GM, however, was so taken by this car that he secretly had his crew dismantle the car and hide its individual parts all over the scrap yard.

The owner of this car found out about its story some 30 years after it was hidden away. Through negotiations, he was able to buy all the pieces and, with the cooperation of the GM Tech Center, he was able to finally bring the car back to life. It took a long time and a lot of extraordinary effort, but a piece of automotive history was saved.

Looking at this car, you can see design clues of features that were to show up in future GM projects.....notably the Corvette and the Corvair. It was the norm back then, but the monstrous steering wheel kept getting my attention.

1216002264_3N7Ss-X2.jpg

1216002471_4xbhL-X2.jpg

1216002822_CDdkd-X2.jpg

1216002638_xm4X9-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Very nice sets of images, Tom. More than that, I liked the journey back in time from your storytelling. Awesome! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I do see those attributes you describe in her. Not so much the corvair but
    the Vet yes. Personally I am shocked that concept cars would be destroyed.
    Completely appalled at that practice. I would hope that's not done anymore
    and hasn't been for a long time.

Nice images Tom. As always, I appreciate getting to see them and associated
    interesting histories that go along with each thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Nicely done! I see the future Corvette in the sides and Corvair (Monza) in the tail lights. I'm not sure what the grill became.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    A beautiful automobile Tom and no one better to capture it but yourself. When I first looked I thought "Corvair" Maybe cause no one that I knew could afford a Corvette back then. :D. I'm sure this is the first of many walks down memory lane that we will be treated to and have been waiting for from this year's show. clap.gifclap

Be well

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Very nice sets of images, Tom. More than that, I liked the journey back in time from your storytelling. Awesome! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif

Many thanks, Jiro, for the kind words. The story of this car is quite unique. That was a pretty gutsy move made by the guy who elected to save this car....he could have easily lost his job over such a thing.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 14, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    I do see those attributes you describe in her. Not so much the corvair but
    the Vet yes. Personally I am shocked that concept cars would be destroyed.
    Completely appalled at that practice. I would hope that's not done anymore
    and hasn't been for a long time.

Nice images Tom. As always, I appreciate getting to see them and associated
    interesting histories that go along with each thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm happy to share the story behind the cars I shoot....that's when, of course, I happen to know something of interest.

For the most part, all concept cars are destroyed within a year after production. Almost universally, they do not meet federal requirements as to safety requirements, emission controls and other considerations. Therefore, the Feds mandate that they have a year's lifetime. Sometimes the cars made as a " concept " car will conform to prevailing laws and regulations and are therefore granted " life " beyond the normal year.
    There have been a number of cases, though, where cars that were supposed to have been destroyed have shown up years later.
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Thanks for the images and the story. Sad that there is not a museum to preserve the concept cars to save them from a horrible death. Even if they never hit the road on their own wheels sad to see something with such an investment destroyed. Thanks for sharing this!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 14, 2011
    I dunno, Tom. I'll give you credit for coming up with an unusual car, but to me, this thing looks like the unwanted love-child of a Corvette and a Corvair. rolleyes1.gif

YMMV, of course. :D I realize that I am neglecting the historical aspect, but unlike most of the other cars you have posted, I certainly would not care to be seen in this one. lol3.gif
    edited March 14, 2011
    WernerG wrote: »
    Nicely done! I see the future Corvette in the sides and Corvair (Monza) in the tail lights. I'm not sure what the grill became.

Hey Werner,

Good to hear from you. I'm, also, not sure where that grill may have shown up....at least not as it's shown here. Thank goodness that headlight treatment was never seen again.

Tom
    edited March 14, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    A beautiful automobile Tom and no one better to capture it but yourself. When I first looked I thought "Corvair" Maybe cause no one that I knew could afford a Corvette back then. :D. I'm sure this is the first of many walks down memory lane that we will be treated to and have been waiting for from this year's show. clap.gifclap

Be well

Well, Jack, you're way too kind to me. I better put all you car folks on notice....I'M ALL GEARED UP AND I"LL BE COMING RIGHT AT YOU. GET READY.

Tom
    edited March 14, 2011
    Gabby G wrote: »
    Thanks for the images and the story. Sad that there is not a museum to preserve the concept cars to save them from a horrible death. Even if they never hit the road on their own wheels sad to see something with such an investment destroyed. Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks for looking in, Andee.

It's not a completely sad story for concept cars. Over the years, manufacturers were sometimes able to hang onto, by hook or crook, some of their concept vehicles. Some of these cars were never runners....they were strictly a design exercise and escaped the hangman because they were never hitting the road. Other times, some loophole in the regulations could be exploited and the car relegated to a life in the manufacturer's own collection. Sometimes, surreptitious means were employed to preserve a car.....as was the case with this Chevy.

Most of my comments here are directed at cars from earlier times. The real stiff Federal regs have come along in the later years. There are actually a fair number of concept / design-exercise vehicles in existence. I'll be posting some shots of some other interesting ones later on.

Tom
    edited March 14, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I dunno, Tom. I'll give you credit for coming up with an unusual car, but to me, this thing looks like the unwanted love-child of a Corvette and a Corvair. rolleyes1.gif

YMMV, of course. :D I realize that I am neglecting the historical aspect, but unlike most of the other cars you have posted, I certainly would not care to be seen in this one. lol3.gif

Well, Richard, even being the dyed-in-the-wool car guy I am, I'll have to give your position on this one a big " AMEN ". rolleyes1.gif

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Looks like a lot of Corvair in the rear to me. The hood reminds me of a corvette, but the headlights might have showed-up on MG's. I have always loved suicide doors thumb.gif

That windshield and rear window intrigue me, I can't stop looking at them ne_nau.gif
    Randy
    edited March 14, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of Corvair in the rear to me. The hood reminds me of a corvette, but the headlights might have showed-up on MG's. I have always loved suicide doors thumb.gif

That windshield and rear window intrigue me, I can't stop looking at them ne_nau.gif

I'm with you, Randy, about the rear of this car looking like a Corvair ....even though this car is way larger than the Corvair was. And I see all kinds of clues to styling aspects of Corvettes to come. The leading-edge feature on the front fenders definitely inspired the front look of the first years of the Buick Riviera. Like you, I'm a huge fan of suicide doors....I really like them when the front doors are that way.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Nice looking car. Liked the story with it too.