Renaming files

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited September 27, 2005 in Finishing School
Maybe Photoshop's File Browser can't do this. What happens if you shoot RAW + JPG and you want to rename files? File Browser will sequentially rename everything. This means your RAW file doesn't have the same base name as its companion JPG. Their sequence number will be one off from the other. This can get even more hairy if you aren't always shooting RAW+JPG in a session. I'm about to write a shell script to rename but looking for a better way.
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Maybe Photoshop's File Browser can't do this. What happens if you shoot RAW + JPG and you want to rename files? File Browser will sequentially rename everything. This means your RAW file doesn't have the same base name as its companion JPG. Their sequence number will be one off from the other. This can get even more hairy if you aren't always shooting RAW+JPG in a session. I'm about to write a shell script to rename but looking for a better way.
    Better Finder Rename is a fantastic application that should do what you need.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Better Finder Rename is a fantastic application that should do what you need.

I also think Bridge may be able to rename like that...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    In photoshop you can rename the files sequentially using the automate batch command for an action have the action open the file save it then close it. On the batch instruction select the folder to open from and also the folder to save in. You also can name the files existing document name + extension, document name + 01 + extension, etc. You can do alot with this. Just kind of found this recenlty myself. I did rename to many files manually before I found this.

Hope this helps and can do what you need it to do.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me