Options

Even More Water Drops

Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited March 19, 2011 in Holy Macro
Are you guys sick of these yet? :) I did some more last night and thought they turned out good enough to share. Also, many more are here: http://robpauza.smugmug.com/Art/Water-Drops-2/15995217_HJNVn#1199883949_vBgBe The new ones from last night start at number 35.

1215631523_Nvesd-XL.jpg

1215632810_kL3WD-XL.jpg

1215633296_Xq6so-XL.jpg

1215641864_9AQPD-XL.jpg

1215632330_pdP7t-XL.jpg

1215640584_jFS9Q-XL.jpg

1215637202_yHjXW-XL.jpg

Thanks so much for looking.

-Rob
-Rob Pauza
Rob Pauza Photography

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Wonderful series- esp like #2 and the last one :)
    Brian V.
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 15, 2011
  • Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I love these! I can never get tired of great water shots! Some look like creatures coming up out of the water. I see a lizard and a dinosaur on another. Very cool!
  • Options
    linda1111linda1111 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    These are really nice. We never get tired of photographing water, do we? It seems to be endlessly fascinating. :)
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Wonderful series- esp like #2 and the last one :)
    Brian V.

Thank you sir.
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    very nice, like #2 & 4 best :D

Thanks. Those are two of my favs too. I'm doing a composite with #2 actually. I'll post it if it turns out okay.
    Gabby G wrote: »
    I love these! I can never get tired of great water shots! Some look like creatures coming up out of the water. I see a lizard and a dinosaur on another. Very cool!
    linda1111 wrote: »
    These are really nice. We never get tired of photographing water, do we? It seems to be endlessly fascinating. :)

Thanks Gabby and Linda. Yes, water really is fascinating. The more I shoot these things and see what cool things are happening, the more I wonder what I'm missing and it makes me want to keep shooting.

Gabby: There's one photo that reminds me of Barney the dinosaur at the link I posted above. I wonder if that's the one you're seeing too? :)

Thanks again everyone.
    -Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    The last one is awesome. What a crater!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Thank you sir.
    Gabby: There's one photo that reminds me of Barney the dinosaur at the link I posted above. I wonder if that's the one you're seeing too? :)
    -Rob
    Not sure Laughing.gif. The one I am talking about looks more like Dino from the Flintstones or Little Foot from Land before time thinner neck than Barney. Laughing.gif I still love to look at clouds too! Cool too cool! One looks like a wide headed Salamander or lizard not sure which. I need to do some of these myself but need something to use to do it in. Had a Community ed class once we watched the teacher set one of these up. It is so fascinating.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    The last one is awesome. What a crater!

Thanks. :)
    Not sure Laughing.gif. The one I am talking about looks more like Dino from the Flintstones or Little Foot from Land before time thinner neck than Barney. Laughing.gif I still love to look at clouds too! Cool too cool! One looks like a wide headed Salamander or lizard not sure which. I need to do some of these myself but need something to use to do it in. Had a Community ed class once we watched the teacher set one of these up. It is so fascinating.

Haha. I like clouds too. Yes, you should definitely try it out. My setup is anything but impressive. I basically just have my kitchen faucet dripping into a pot. I set the faucet to a stream to focus, then turn it to a drip,, then snap away. I'm lighting with 2 speedlites (one would work fine.) Pretty simple really. You can do it.
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Thanks. :)
    Haha. I like clouds too. Yes, you should definitely try it out. My setup is anything but impressive. I basically just have my kitchen faucet dripping into a pot. I set the faucet to a stream to focus, then turn it to a drip,, then snap away. I'm lighting with 2 speedlites (one would work fine.) Pretty simple really. You can do it.
    Is the color in Post or did you use something to get the change in colors that add to the shots? Clear pot or mettle one?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Is the color in Post or did you use something to get the change in colors that add to the shots? Clear pot or mettle one?

I am doing some color processing in post, but look at the first 34 from the link at the top. Those for the most part are right out of the camera with some fairly minimal adjustments. I'm using a metal pot that is dark. The pot is full of water and because of surface tension and the low angle I'm shooting at, the surface becomes a mini "infinity" water plane. Hope that made sense. There's really just one "trick" so to speak.... you need a high shutter speed... like 1/1000 or higher. Because the sync speed of the flashes is just 1/125 or 1/250, you need to get the lights close to the water so you can turn them down. -What that does is makes the light from the flash determine the shutter speed. i.e. -The lower the flash power, the quicker apparent shutter you will get. It's really just dragging the shutter, but you aren't really letting more light burn in. I shot most of those at like 1/4 power on the flashes at f10 / 1/320 / ISO400. It's a little backwards.... Get your flashes turned down, set your shutter to the highest you can get away with before you start getting curtain problems, then play with ISO and f-stop.

Another little tip I learned is to keep the camera lens pointed as perpendicular to the water drips as you can. That way, you can maximize focus on the drips coming down. As you know, focus is pretty tough sometimes using macros. That seemed to help me.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I'll explain further. A couple people on here helped me out with this. I couldn't seem to get a sharp image no matter what I tried at first.

Okay... now that you know how. Take some pics and post them or I'm gonna come hunt you down! :)

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Here's a crappy iPhone pic of the setup of the kitchen sink:
    1217919288_9ezD9-L.jpg

And the bathroom sink setup from a week or so ago: Haha -used a frying pan on that one. :)
    1199887588_VrXRF-L.jpg

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Options
    DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Nice set, Rob :)
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    DeVil wrote: »
    Nice set, Rob :)

Thank you. I'm a big fan of your work btw.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Options
    DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    I'm glad you like it, Rob :)