Ceramics

bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
This one is out of my normal subject range, which usually consists of kids being kids.

My wife and her friend went to one of those paint-your-own ceramic places and made these.

I don't have any special lights, so I made do with what I had around the house.

1216942122_hhRuw-L.jpg

Suggestions? C&C?
The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 15, 2011
    On my monitor, there seems to be a yellow/orange cast. Is that the color of the plates or are they white? I'm guessing that it's a result of using tungsten lamps and it would be easy to adjust in post.
  • bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    The plates are both creamy colored. The bottom plate is whiter than the standing one; it is actually quite creamy.

I did the adjust in LR to the tungsten setting, then even cooled it a bit more. I kept running back and forth between the computer and the setup to see if it looked like real life. mwink.gif

In the end, I think that's pretty close to reality. What is the standard practice? Should you try to get a subject like that to look like it really does? Under what conditions? Or, should you mess with the balance to make the picture look good, regardless of reality?
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 15, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    In the end, I think that's pretty close to reality. What is the standard practice? Should you try to get a subject like that to look like it really does? Under what conditions? Or, should you mess with the balance to make the picture look good, regardless of reality?
    If that's the way they look, then that's the way they look. If you want them to look different, then that's entirely up to you. deal.gif
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I agree with Richard. But if you ever do sales for what is in your image you want them to look like what they do in real life. But for fun you can have the end result be whatever you like best. On a side note, I love those paint your own pottery places. They are a fun place to relax and have fun and have something to remember it by.