Help!! Price of FILM Cameras??

JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited March 26, 2011 in Cameras
I'm seriously considering taking a beginning photography course at a university and I've been told by another person who took the class that I have to have a film camera for the class.

My large animal veterinarian (I live on a farm) has two Minolta cameras he will sell me, but has asked me to research the price.

Do any of you have any idea how much these cameras/lenses are worth?

Minolta x-700 (Two of them)
Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 lens
JC Penney? 80-200mm lens
Minolta Auto 280PX Flash

I'd appreciate any input you have.

J.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 15, 2011
    Research at:

KEH.com

the used departments at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    http://www.adorama.com/

Closed auctions at EBay.com

That should get you a good range of current valuations. Private sales generally go somewhat less than KEH or the other used sites, but not generally less than 80% of those sites prices.

The lenses are not really too special. The camera bodies were wonderful in their day, but make sure they still work as I doubt they are worth repairs.

Use the following page to help identify which particular version they might be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_X-700

Note that these cameras require the proper batteries for operation. They will not operate, unlike some other mechanical cameras of the time, without proper and fresh batteries. They will also use batteries at a fairly high rate so get spares.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Thank you ziggy53! You were VERY helpful.

J.
    You can also check out the classifieds at www.apug.org which is also an excellent source of information for all things related to film photography.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Make usre it all works well...test drive it...seriously....the Last X700 I bought I apid
    $40 for it...and it was new never used covered in dust in a Kmart store room.....I got a call from a clerk
    that said they had one it was $40 had a 50mm lens...I scarfed it up and shot hundreds of weddings with it.
    The 35-70 is a good not great but good lens...the 80-200 is what it is...JCPenny ......very low on the totem pole
    but usable....the flash would be my biggest concern... as it is old and you vet has not kept the capacitors regularly
    charged...so it might never come to true full charge...even if the pilot light shows it is fullly charged....you will
    need to do a manual full power test at 10 ft and see what it reads out on a flash meter as.....sometimes not
    very often one can get capacitors to restore by charing and dumping the flash several times a day over a week or 2.....
    I would opt for a vivatar 285HV if this flash does not work properly...

all that jibberish and I will say this whole kit should be able to be had for no more than $200 and actually less...
    the reason being that whilst it may look pristine it is still electronics and they corrode if not kept in good working order and
    stored away from dust, humidity which can kill electronics quickly........

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    I have an X-700 and would offer $100 for all.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    bowdown.gif Thanks to to all of you!!