Options

Proposed law outlawing photography of a farm

ReuelReuel Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited March 16, 2011 in The Big Picture
http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/03/15/illegal_florida_farm_photography_open2011/index.html

"An act relating to farms; prohibiting a person from entering onto a farm or photographing or video recording a farm without the owner’s written consent; providing a definition; providing penalties; providing an effective date."

Not good.

My understanding is that the Florida lawmaker wants to make it illegal for animal protection groups to photograph farm animal abuse. So he's not only trampling on photographer's rights, but the rights of those bringing attention to lawbreaking.

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    You have to understand that here in Florida we have the best state legislature that money can buy. The growers have paid their $ and now they expect some results.

The proposed legislation is poorly written to the extreme. The first part imposes draconian penalties for entering the owner's property w/o permission (I guess trespass was not severe enough for these evil people). The second part makes it a felony to photograph a farm while on public property w/o the property owner's permission.

That second part puts me in severe jeopardy as I do a lot of wildlife photography at the Viera Wetlands. The wetlands are surrounded by the Duda farm so every time I take a picture at the wetlands I would be committing a felony under this law.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Every day it gets better and better.

In Road Island a 5 year old boy was kidnapped, brutalized, killed, and eaten in 1975. The killer is being released early for good behavior.

Now they want to lock up ordinary people for up to 30 years for taking a photograph of a farm!

How are these connected you wonder. It's the breakdown of rational thought and actions. How anyone can wonder why I have very little respect for the authorities, laws or courts has a real deficit of cognitive function.

Sam

PS: Of course there is the other side of this is maybe they have seen through Harry's nefarious farm photos disguised as innocent bird photos. Your going down harry................
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Wouldn't NASA astronauts, satellite operators, and any kid on an airplane be committing felonies each time they photographed Florida? I say arrest them all!:D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 16, 2011
    Hell, let's just make possession of a camera a felony and be done with it. And that includes cell phone cameras. It would solve the unemployment problem instantly--two thirds of the population would be in jail and the rest would be building jails or prison guards.

Sheesh.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Of course there is the other side of this is maybe they have seen through Harry's nefarious farm photos disguised as innocent bird photos. Your going down harry................
    rolleyes1.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    You have to understand that here in Florida we have the best state legislature that money can buy. The growers have paid their $ and now they expect some results.

The proposed legislation is poorly written to the extreme. The first part imposes draconian penalties for entering the owner's property w/o permission (I guess trespass was not severe enough for these evil people). The second part makes it a felony to photograph a farm while on public property w/o the property owner's permission.

This brings to light the amount of illegal and perhaps amoral things that must be happening down on some of those farms. Too weird!
    tom wise
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Every day it gets better and better.

In Road Island a 5 year old boy was kidnapped, brutalized, killed, and eaten in 1975. The killer is being released early for good behavior.
    This is the kid who's dad said "if you release him, I will hunt him down and kill him" right?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    This is the kid who's dad said "if you release him, I will hunt him down and kill him" right?

Yes, and if he does I will swear he was having a beer with me when this animal was introduced to the other side.

Sam
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Yes, and if he does I will swear he was having a beer with me when this animal was introduced to the other side.

Sam
    +10000 thumb.gif

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr