10 Days New - 1st baby session

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 16, 2011 in People
I had the pleasure of shooting my wife's cousin's baby Keanu on Sunday. This was supposed to be a paid session but I am gifting the photos to them. It was my first time shooting a baby so I didn't know what to expect as far as quality of photos I would produce. I'm pretty happy with them. They haven't seen them yet. I wanted to post a few to get some feedback first.

I have to give all you baby shooters a lot of credit. Wow was this shoot hard. He is so tiny I had trouble posing him. Also, ain't no getting him to do something he doesn't want to. I made him cry a number of times... he hated being completely exposed even though it was extremely warm in the room; I was sweating like a pig. (do pigs actually sweat? :scratch)

The other thing I didn't expect were the accidents. Check this outtake shot for what I mean:

1217544516_xe2Fw-L.jpg

The parents actually love that shot!!! :clap They asked me to make sure that I include it in the finished set. I guess it's one of those keep sake shots that you show him when he grows up.

Well... here are some of my favorite shots. As I said, I struggled with trying to make the shots interesting since he kind of just laid there sleeping or crying. I would really love some feedback on these. The good and the bad so don't hold back.

1 - B&W Close-up... I don't like his little right hand showing. Looks odd. I will probably clone it out. Also need to dodge a bit around his head so there is some separation between it and the BG:
1217544708_KBHmh-L.jpg

2 - Before he flipped out. Not sure if I should clone out little "pig tail" belly button:
1217556523_CLemP-L.jpg

3 - Requisite shot. I think dad's arm is too much in shadow at the bottom. I think this happened in the B&W conversion so I can probably pull some detail back:
1217546246_KJNPc-L.jpg

4 - Changed to more of Hi Key here. Tried to add interest with the crop here. Did I succeed?
1217545890_ZbdCF-L.jpg

5 & 6 - Same shot but different process and crop. Both have a slight texture added to the background:

1217547709_bXCXm-XL.jpg

1217547646_QEgJE-L.jpg

7 - Love his lips in this one. Wanted to pinch them:
1217550932_PJoSr-L.jpg

8 - Does the DOF (or lack of) work on this one:
1217553760_9E6L4-L.jpg

9 - My attempt at using a prop. Epic FAIL! He wasn't too happy. I think I may add some texture to the background to this win. A little too plain don't you think?
1217553836_Q9Nyf-XL.jpg

10 - A little more happy now. Again... think this one needs some texture or should I crop it tighter or should I chuck it? Not sure:
1217555063_nEtzH-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    The P shot is utterly priceless and no wonder the parents love it.

I think your biggest problem might be temperature - room ttemp. That is.
    Newborns like to be swaddled or, if naked, to be in an overly warm room. Otherwise, they get cranky. I think your prop box might have been a bit too small. A bigger one would have allowed for a big, soft, warm blanket to keep the little guy cozy and happy.

The swaddled pics are sweet. It is tough to pose infants so their faces don't squish up.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    hahaha! I absolutely love the first one.... Out-take nothin, that one is epic. I remember those moments....
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I don't shoot babies, so not helpful advice from me, but another +1 for the "outtake" - it's perfection!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. Looks like my "outtake" is the best shot of bunch. eek7.gif

I worked a few a little differently. What do you think of this post work?

A
    1217796924_2S2ra-XL.jpg

B
    1217815269_n5qVW-XL.jpg

C
    1217821658_DpwCw-XL.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I love the reworks, personally - much softer and more "baby shoot" ish :) C is really lovely!
  • Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    I just photographed my newborn grandson and it's harder than I thought too. He was not asleep which would have helped.
    These are great. My daughter loved the P shot and we had our chance for one too but chose not to shoot. We should have!
    Thanks for posting.