Options

Smugmug Prints Cost

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm putting together print packages in smugmug but what I don't know is how much over what the print service is charging do I charge? Is there an average percent over cost? I'm just getting started in the business so any help will be appreciated.

R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    I'm putting together print packages in smugmug but what I don't know is how much over what the print service is charging do I charge? Is there an average percent over cost? I'm just getting started in the business so any help will be appreciated.

R.

Hit the search function: 'Figuring Profit'

I bet you find some already discussed help!
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Have you done any research on what prints are going for in your area......that will have a lot to do with it....If you are just starting out do not price at walmart/sears/jcpennny/target/ portrait innovations portrait prices...waaay too low but do not price at waht the most successful shooter in your area is either....Find a happy medium you can live with for a year....the start upping the price and getting a more appreciative type of client
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    I'm just getting started in the business so any help will be appreciated.

Are you talking about art prints or prints for a client?

If you are talking about prints to hang on the wall, that is easy. Price it where you want and if it sells a lot, raise your price. If it isn't selling, lower your price.

If you are talking about prints going to a client, you really need to look at your business model. Your money will be made by the booking, not on the print sales. Charge for your time and skill.
    Steve

Website