Digital Copy

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited March 26, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I am taking photos of my daughter's soccer team and I put them on my SmugMug website for parents to view and purchase if they would like. I am not charging them for the photos. I have the gallery blocked so nobody can right click and upload them for personal use. Parents are now asking me how they can upload the photo so they can have a digital copy. Do you any suggestions on what to do or say to those parents who request digital copies?

Comments

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I am taking photos of my daughter's soccer team and I put them on my SmugMug website for parents to view and purchase if they would like. I am not charging them for the photos. I have the gallery blocked so nobody can right click and upload them for personal use. Parents are now asking me how they can upload the photo so they can have a digital copy. Do you any suggestions on what to do or say to those parents who request digital copies?

Set it up so they pay an amount that you feel good about and let them download away. Or take the protection off and let them download for free. Easy as that.

When I shoot moto trials events I do it for practice and fun. My riding buddies download the images off of my personal site and do whatever with them. I do watermark them now though. Just a little link to my site so people know where they came from. When I am doing a real event for money, it is on my pro website, rightclick protected and big X style watermark. With options for printing and downloading for prices I set.
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011

to view and purchase

I am not charging them for the photos.

Sorry, not getting this....

Why would they have to purchase anything if you are not charging for the pics?
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011

"I am not charging them for the photos."

? You're not charging them to view the photos, correct?

But you do want them to pay to print or download, correct?

You do have a download option for purchasing, correct?

:D
    tom wise
    edited March 16, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    "I am not charging them for the photos."

? You're not charging them to view the photos, correct?

But you do want them to pay to print or download, correct?

You do have a download option for purchasing, correct?

:D

Ah, not charging to View..

I never heard of anyone that did so never occoured to me that this would be needed to be mentioned.

What sort of percentage of shooters do charge to view the pics on snugbub? Would seem a real handbrake on sales but then agan, it could be the perfect model for me as lots of people look at my work online but still haven't had anyone buy! ne_nau.gif
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    I'm sorry, let me clarify my post. I am using the "Power" subscription (No price settings, not for profit) and can buy prints and view for free. The photos are protected so nobody can right click and download them to their PC to post on Facebook or personal websites.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited March 16, 2011
    I'm sorry, let me clarify my post. I am using the "Power" subscription (No price settings, not for profit) and can buy prints and view for free. The photos are protected so nobody can right click and download them to their PC to post on Facebook or personal websites.
    I'm a little confused here.

Do you want to allow people to download the photos? If you do, disable right click protection, and allow access to the Originals. Then a download button will appear when the viewer hovers over the photo.

Or do you want to allow people to order prints (at cost) but protect your originals and not allow downloads? In that case, tell them that downloads are not available and if they'd like a copy they can purchase one.

--- Denise
    edited March 16, 2011
    Do you any suggestions on what to do or say to those parents who request digital copies?

Sure: $x gets you a disc of Susies photos~
    tom wise
    edited March 16, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    it could be the perfect model for me as lots of people look at my work online but still haven't had anyone buy! ne_nau.gif

A LOT of folks are just addicted to looking! and having ready access anytime night or day to the photos Online aids that~
    tom wise
    edited March 17, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    A LOT of folks are just addicted to looking! and having ready access anytime night or day to the photos Online aids that~

I am so confused by this online thing.
    So many pros and cons on both sides.

ne_nau.gif
    edited March 18, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    I am so confused by this online thing.
    So many pros and cons on both sides.

ne_nau.gif

Is it any wonder? My photo views on my SmugMug site are in line now a days with what they ought to be. I just checked (now) and I have had 1404 views for the Month for the entire site, that's 1404 individual visits.

Two years ago before I Changed my Site, I regularly had anywhere from a low of say 20k to 35k hits per Month. I couldn't figure it out. Finally realized that I had all sorts of locked or hidden galleries as well as my regular galleries showing up in search results for Google, so all this traffic was picking up my photos for display. Also found that my site acted differently to the Mobile web. I put a stop to it, and have seen my views drop a ton, as you can tell. Now when I have views I can realistically ask myself what I did to drive that traffic, what works?

Of course, just like you and the quandary for many folks is turning viewers into buyers!

One thing I have noticed when friends and family share other photogs displaying kids sport photos for Mom&Dad to buy, they most always only get to view a thumb.
    tom wise
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    In certain situations, I set up my galleries with the size limited to M, and allow people to snag these Medium-sized files (with watermarks) to post on FB (match.com; j-date ;) ), but if they want a large print or a download of the original file, they have to order through my site.
  • GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    In certain situations, I set up my galleries with the size limited to M, and allow people to snag these Medium-sized files (with watermarks) to post on FB (match.com; j-date ;) ), but if they want a large print or a download of the original file, they have to order through my site.

This is pretty much how ive set up most of my sports shots, free to see, encouraged to share, and publish small images, but the orignal dowload and prints only available at a cost. best way in my opinion as people posting and sharing gets me free advertisement with the watermark I currently use.
    [7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr