Speedwell weed flower

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited March 18, 2011 in Holy Macro
Some shots of a speedwell weed flower about 8mm diameter. The shot pair is a cross-eye stereogram. 5Dmk2/MPE-65/ 430Ex flash and focus stacked using zerene stacker DMap routine.

Brian V.

5531014139_0e68984294_o.jpg

5531014141_b00104195c_b.jpg

5531014147_9541952cb6_o.jpg

5531014149_bd97f77c0a_o.jpg

Comments

• AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    That is a pretty flower. It looks like it is made of sugar! Very pretty.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Nice images. I particularly like the last. I'm curious about your opinion about DMap now that you are using it as well as PMax. So far, what I have found is that DMap does somewhat better with textures and saturation when doing flowers, but it creates worse halos if an edge is far forward of the surface behind it. The author of the software also says that it preserves less detail. If halos are not a problem, I use it more than PMax for flowers because I don't see the loss of detail.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Thanks Andee and paddler for the comments :)

Paddler - not really used DMAp enough yet but it does seem good for flowers although I have had some messed up backgrounds from it, which are not really a problem (I just use the healing brush in PS to copy the stack back onto the last shot in the original series). The main advantage for me is that it doesn't seem to stack every single sensor spot :). I still need to try helicon focus on some of these stacks.

Brian v.
    edited March 16, 2011
    Brian,

Thanks. I think what you are referring to as messed up backgrounds may be related to the halos I mentioned--they show up as textureless areas in the backround right along the edges of the flower. Will be curious what you find with Helicon when you try it out.

Dan
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    paddler4 wrote: »
    Brian,

Thanks. I think what you are referring to as messed up backgrounds may be related to the halos I mentioned--they show up as textureless areas in the backround right along the edges of the flower. Will be curious what you find with Helicon when you try it out.

Dan
    Ah - thimk I know what you mean, not quite the same as I got, I had blotches in the background not near the subject. You will often get a halo of blurred background around a foreground edge if both are in good focus. This is caused by the foreground blurred image being larger when the background is in focus so part of the background is masked.
    If the background is a faily regular pattern you can use the cloning brush set at around 60% opacity to copy back onto the blur.

Brian V.
    edited March 18, 2011
    Brian,

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion. I have an orchid at about 1.5:1 that I am going to use for trying out what you suggest.

Dan