Problem lens.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited March 17, 2011 in Cameras
Hi all
Just a quick question. I recently sold a canon usm 75-300 iii lens and the new owner has sent me a pm on another forum to tell me that the af has stopped working. He did mention that he was taking pictures at a car rally and had got it wet. I bought it second hand myself and got it wet on an odd occasion but never had a problem with it. I told him to leave it in a warm room for a day and see if this cures the problem. Does anyone here own one and have the same problem?:D

Regards
Patrick

Comments

• JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Well firstly how long ago was this sale and was their any form of return/repair agreements made if the lens failed at a later time. Regardless of any agreement he admitted to getting it wet. Its not a weather sealed body and the first on the list of disclaimers for warranty service from Canon. Best thing he could do is leave it be to dry for a while. As for entertaining any notions of getting his money back or you paying for repiars I certainly would not.

I owned one of these years ago but never got it wet.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    This may possibly help!
    Any piece of electronics can be dried out properly using rice! With a lens you may want to find some way to protect the lens from the dust from the rice. Perhaps using fine cloth to wrap it in before covering in rice may be the trick. I've brought many cell phone back to life using this method, but have never tried it on a lens before. There is always the possibility that the motors were damaged so this may make no difference.

Good luck:

Bradyne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Sorry for not answering sooner but i should keep my eyes open on this thread. I sold the lens a couple of weeks ago and the man who bought it said it got damp at a car rally. He said he can take pictures with the lens but the AF is not working anymore. I suggested that he leave it in a warm enviroment for a day or two and that he try the lens on another canon camera body. I think he had the lens for just over a week. He paid €100 for it. Admittely it is an old lens but it was working fine when i sold it and it worked fine for him until the day after the rally. There is no grinding noises from it and i thought someone here might have owned this particular model and might have some experience with it. Thanks for your responces. I am waiting to hear back from him. I do believe i sold a good lens but i do feel sorry for the man if this is what has happenned.

Thanks again for your reponces.
    Patrick:D
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Just in case, ask him to make sure that the AF switch is set to "AF.":D
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 17, 2011
    I'd say that if you sold him a working lens and it worked until HE got it wet then you have nothing to worry about. The new owner is the person that got it wet.