Options

advice on lenses - camera, please!

beezle@mac.combeezle@mac.com Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 5, 2005 in Cameras
Hi! I've been reading up on this forum because I'm about to buy a digital SLR with a nice zoom lens to go with it. I'm a photojournailst student but also into fine art. I'm probably going to go with a Rebel - either the XT or the new D20. I've heard that there isn't too much difference between the two and that I should spend less on the body and more on getting a better lens. I'd appreciate any suggestions on either. From what I've been reading it seems like the canon L series is the way to go for lenses, or a tamron? Something in the 70 - 300 range is what I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance!
Jenny

Comments

• Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    Hi! I've been reading up on this forum because I'm about to buy a digital SLR with a nice zoom lens to go with it. I'm a photojournailst student but also into fine art. I'm probably going to go with a Rebel - either the XT or the new D20. I've heard that there isn't too much difference between the two and that I should spend less on the body and more on getting a better lens. I'd appreciate any suggestions on either. From what I've been reading it seems like the canon L series is the way to go for lenses, or a tamron? Something in the 70 - 300 range is what I'm looking for.
    Thanks in advance!
    Jenny
    Rebel XT and 70-200 F/4L

No one seems to be dissappointed with this choice.

... or the sigma 70-200 f/2.8

... or if you're on a budget, maybe the Sigma 70-300 APO... a member on this forum got some stunning shots with it the other day.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    Hi Jenny,
    I agree with Scott. The 70-200f4L was one of the first lenses I purchased and I have been really pleased with it. Good luck with your purchases, I have a difficult time making decisions when it comes to lenses.ne_nau.gif

Nicole
  • Options
    Thanks for that! I have a film Canon rebel 2000 and I was wondering if the lens that it came with it (28-80) would work on the Rebel XT. Does anybody know? Also the filters - UV and polarizers - are they the same?
    I'm so excited about the soon-to-come new stuff!
    Jenny
  • Options
    Michael_HansenMichael_Hansen Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Thanks for that! I have a film Canon rebel 2000 and I was wondering if the lens that it came with it (28-80) would work on the Rebel XT. Does anybody know? Also the filters - UV and polarizers - are they the same?
    I'm so excited about the soon-to-come new stuff!
    Jenny
    Yes it will :D
    "Your photography is a record of your living, for anyone who really sees."
    Paul Strand

http://www.michaelhansen.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    What scott said.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    Don't the numbers call it?
    I thought the Canon SLR digital body numbering system was quite explicit. Single digit (eg "1", "5", etc) = pro. Double digit (eg "20") = serious amateur. Triple digit (eg "350") = hobbyist.

Isn't that how it is?
  • Options
    Okay, now I just can't decide between the canon 70-200f/4 or the Sigma f/2.8! About a $250 difference - I can affort it but don't know if it's necessary.
    What to do...?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    Okay, now I just can't decide between the canon 70-200f/4 or the Sigma f/2.8! About a $250 difference - I can affort it but don't know if it's necessary.
    What to do...?
    If you can afford that, maybe you can afford more? Like the 70-200f/2.8 L IS??? mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    What Mike said :D

Very awesome lens + IS is Amazing

Fred
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    You are in luck.
    I see that canon has started the triple rebate offer again.
    Buy between 10/15/05 and 01/15/06

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/00/10/00/13/48/06/100013480629.pdf
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    lenses are important and no one can say a bad thing about the L glass but remember with an aps-c sensor your 70-200 L will be a 112-320mm which is pretty much a long telephoto zoom.it is also top of the range,whereas you could buy three ,almost as good lenses, at diffferent focal lengths for the same money.

my understanding of photo jopurnalism is that a lot of the work is close up street stuff-close and wide rather than long shots .

a long lens also attracts a lot of attention which for a photojournalist is not a good thing..

i suggest that you first work out what the majority of shooting you will do and choose a lense or zoom to suit,remembering the 1.6 crop factor.

also remember that the 20d is metal bodied whilst the xt is plastic-if you are out in the field covering riots ,wars and sports etc this should be a major factor in your thinking.

maybe a wide zoom-say 10-20 and then 28-70 mm and a fast 50mm prime,say f1.4 for those low light flash free shots?i have started using a 50/1.4 and its very versatile.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Hi! I ended up getting a canon 85mm 1.8 lens - and I love it - it's so good for shooting indoor speeches, lectures and even theatre rehearsals! But now i think I want a wide lens - you are right about a lot of stuff being wide. Some stuff - like sports - a different thing. I am going to hold out for now.
    But I will want a long lens before long - and then - do you think it's necessary to buy "top of the range"?
    Jenny

L glass but remember with an aps-c sensor your 70-200 L will be a 112-320mm which is pretty much a long telephoto zoom.it is also top of the range,whereas you could buy three ,almost as good lenses, at diffferent focal lengths for the same money.

my understanding of photo jopurnalism is that a lot of the work is close up street stuff-close and wide rather than long shots .

a long lens also attracts a lot of attention which for a photojournalist is not a good thing..

i suggest that you first work out what the majority of shooting you will do and choose a lense or zoom to suit,remembering the 1.6 crop factor.

also remember that the 20d is metal bodied whilst the xt is plastic-if you are out in the field covering riots ,wars and sports etc this should be a major factor in your thinking.

maybe a wide zoom-say 10-20 and then 28-70 mm and a fast 50mm prime,say f1.4 for those low light flash free shots?i have started using a 50/1.4 and its very versatile.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    davev wrote:
    You are in luck.
    I see that canon has started the triple rebate offer again.
    Buy between 10/15/05 and 01/15/06

Where should I buy it - if I decide to?
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Where should I buy it - if I decide to?
    Buy from a authorized Canon dealer, and make sure that it's the U.S.A. model,
    not the import. The imported (gray market) can not be applied to the rebate.

I have bought most of my Canon stuff through B & H. The service has been
    good, stuff delivered on time, a least that's my experience with them.

A friend of mine and I just put a order in together to get a 17-40 and a
    50 F2.5 macro to double up on the rebates.

a link to B&H's Canon lenses page.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=8454
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.