Options

Metering & ND Filters

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited March 17, 2011 in Technique
Is there a way to dial in compensation for using ND filters with an incident meter, like a Sekonic L-358? It's a non issue with the camera's TTL metering, but I'm wondering if there's some was to tell an incident meter what you're doing. :scratch
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 17, 2011
    I have never actually tried to so this, so.......

If you are using a 2 stop ND filter, and you want the correct exposure settings in Manual mode on the camera, set your Sekonic light meter for ISO 25 ( assuming you are shooting ISO 100 ), and then use the 25 ISO readings on the Sekonic meter = 100-> 50-> 25 yields two stops more light which should match what you need at ISO 100 with a 2 stop ND. That should work, shouldn't it, John?

Or meter at ISO 100, and set your camera to add +2 stops Exposure compensation - not all cameras allow EC when in Manual mode though. Canon does allow auto bracketing in Manual Mode where the camera varies the shutter speed, even in Manual mode, to allow bracket. SO if you shoot 3 frame brackets, 0, +2 and - 2, your + 2 bracket should work with a straight exposure reading from an Incident Meter.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    If you are using a 2 stop ND filter, and you want the correct exposure settings in Manual mode on the camera, set your Sekonic light meter for ISO 25 ( assuming you are shooting ISO 100 ), and then use the 25 ISO readings on the Sekonic meter = 100-> 50-> 25 yields two stops more light which should match what you need at ISO 100 with a 2 stop ND. That should work, shouldn't it, John?

Don't know why it wouldn't. I don't like your other suggestion. Too much liklihood (for me) of forgetting I had exposure comp dialed into the camera when I go off manual mode. I like the ISO adjustment idea. thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.