Portraits | Abbey

JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited March 22, 2011 in People
I would love to get some feedback from all you guys on the shots I just posted to my blog! They're some pics of a 12 year old that truly looked at least 16 or so and I thought they turned out great. She was really outgoing and fun.. and pretty much posed herself which made it a lot easier on me. If you guys could go there and let me know what you think that would be AWESOME! Thanks!

Here's a couple for the forum

Abbey_Cone_216_of_363-Edit.jpg
Abbey_Cone_358_of_363-Edit-Edit.jpg

Comments

• lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Those are great, beautiful shots. And 12??!! Really?!? Wow.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    # 2 is a knock out, she will break some hearts. I love the subject placement to create interest. There is something about her right shoulder that seems to be cut off and she is only partly there.......sort of odd like the "Fringe" TV show. That would be the only nit I have.

On #1 you really need to raise your black point some to add some contrast. Digital files to me seem really flat and need a boost in the black point. Also her eyes are lifeless. At this size it is hard to tell if there are catch lights that give the eyes zap to a viewer. She also has dark sockets that needed to have more light directed to them to lighten them.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Nice
    I really like the second one in black and white. Personally, I would prefer more depth of field so all of her hair was sharp. Was the reflection of the little dog in the sunglasses planned or a happy accident?

Now, as the father of a 12-year-old girl, the last thing I want someone to do (photographer or otherwise) is make her look 16! :D
  • JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Haha well.. she actually looks 16 in person too.. so don't blame me! And the dog was an accident.. I actually knew the dog was there cause he kept leaning on my legs when I was taking pictures. But I ended up moving the dog in the next set of photos but I didn't get as good a photo out of the rest.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Now, as the father of a 12-year-old girl, the last thing I want someone to do (photographer or otherwise) is make her look 16! :D

lol, I was thinking the same thing (except I'm not the father of a 12 year old). The processing and feel of them are very nice. I prefer the black and whites. The one where she is leaning against the reddish pink wall has a very nice natural smile and expression, but you can see the "hanger loop" from her shirt on her shoulder. I would photoshop that out. Lovely fun set! thumb.gif
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Cool series. She has beautiful hair! Have you ever tried replacing the reflection of sun glasses in Photo Shop with something really cool? There is a great video tutorial on how to do just that. I am not sure if it is OK to add links like that in the forum posts. If you are interested in the link for the tutorial let me know and I will PM you the link.
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 18, 2011
    Great portraits. Beautiful model!
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Very nice.
    :DI have heard though that 12 is the new 16!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Great stuff as usual, Jon!
  • JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Thanks everyone!
  • fox_3dfox_3d Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2011
    second B&W picture is awesome !! i would say PERFECT !
  • JoiJoiJoiJoi Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Not so much a fan of #1, feels detached, but 2nd is awesome work!

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    These are great and I echo what Charles wrote and might I suggest changing the orientation on the second one to "fix" the oddity with her shoulder...

Bravo and well done!
    Yo soy Reynaldo