Film Noir, Susan Hayward or Ida Lupino?

Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited March 18, 2011 in People
Here is another shot from my Hotel Boudoir shoot the other day. Luv to get some feedback on this. A little different P.P. this time. A tad heavier skin work, softer tones, and a big handful of noise/grain to get that 1940s film still look. As always your C&C is encouraged.

1219595542_iwwD6-XL.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Hi Albert. Very interesting. I'd like to suggest a more directional light (eg what you can get using "reflector" filters in Nik) to emulate the big cine lights, and that might give you more highlights (and shadows) on the face. I think it also might push back the grain a little from being too prominent. I'd add a bit of clarity, especially to the negligee. I wonder, though, if this shot has all the potential for what you describe you are after. Might be better if you can do it to go out and shoot (light) specifically for the effect you want to create.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Hi Albert. Very interesting. I'd like to suggest a more directional light (eg what you can get using "reflector" filters in Nik) to emulate the big cine lights, and that might give you more highlights (and shadows) on the face. I think it also might push back the grain a little from being too prominent. I'd add a bit of clarity, especially to the negligee. I wonder, though, if this shot has all the potential for what you describe you are after. Might be better if you can do it to go out and shoot (light) specifically for the effect you want to create.

Neil

I couldnt agree with you more. You are 100% right on the money. This was shot in a workshop where the instructor was pimping a LED video light for still work. I was limited to the lighting provided. Had I control over this shoot, I would have used a single strobe with a 30 or 40 degree grid and a little opposing fill, Probably just a reflector. This would give the directional light you mentioned and popped the detail in the gown better. I just really like this model and her ability to pull this off. As always, thanks Neil.

Here is a straight B&W conversion without the grain and a tad more Clarity on the gown.

1219699342_8PAFG-XL.jpg
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Both of them are tantalising.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    They are both very appealing. I'd tone down the overly white eye. Also, deemphasize the glass. I think it detracts (distracts?) from the lovely face.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited March 18, 2011
    Oh, BTW, is that a tat on her chest, or some sort of bra? If it's a tat, boy would I like to see that. I'm guessing it connects to her sleeve.
    John :
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I did brighten the eye a bit. Too heavy handed as usual I guess. It is a tattoo. It does not connect to the sleave. It is a full sett of bat wings that spread out over both breasts. Mistress of the dark Sh*t.

The glass, really. I think the glass and smoke add to the whole thing but it is rather dominant I see now that you mention it. By the way, What about that Cig? it was not lit and was full length. Did I pull it off as burning?mwink.gif
    edited March 18, 2011
    The cig is perfect. I'd have never guessed it wasn't lit.
    John :