Devin

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited March 18, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
For spring break, I went down to South Texas on my Goldwing and picked-up one of my grandson's. We rode on down and spent a day in Galveston cruizin' the blvd.

We came back to north Texas, where I took a few shots of him today. Here's one of them.
Randy

Comments

• Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Nice job. I really like the lighting, but I would cut down the "HDR-looking" processing slightly. -It just looks a hair overdone which seems to distract from the character of the photograph. I'm just nit-picking though. I like it a lot.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Nice treatment Randy but he really needs a Cowboy hat (or is he resisting your influence?) mwink.gif Lucky young'un to have such an adventuresome Grampa as you. When I was his age, my grandfather used to take me bowling on the green or for a ride uptown on the trolley car. rolleyes1.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Nice job. I really like the lighting, but I would cut down the "HDR-looking" processing slightly. -It just looks a hair overdone which seems to distract from the character of the photograph. I'm just nit-picking though. I like it a lot.

-Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for looking and your input thumb.gif

But, that's a hot look with the young crowd :D
    Randy
    edited March 17, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Nice treatment Randy but he really needs a Cowboy hat (or is he resisting your influence?) mwink.gif Lucky young'un to have such an adventuresome Grampa as you. When I was his age, my grandfather used to take me bowling on the green or for a ride uptown on the trolley car. rolleyes1.gif

Hey Mr. Jack,

That makes me laugh. My wife just received (from his mother) his "cowboy hat" that I bought for him a few years ago. He wore that thing everywhere, and I do mean everywhere! Shorts, his cowboy hat and boots. He even wore it to bed :D

It's flat worn out, and he's not as much into that now, but he'll come around again some day thumb.gif

I treasure every moment with my grandson's, and I try to do "cool" things with them.

Thanks for looking and commenting Jack thumb.gif
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Yo Pard,

I find your treatment on this one to be most intriguing. You've got some interesting lighting that, in my opinion, works very well. Combine that with your other treatment tactics and you end up with a striking presentation. My only wish with this shot is that I could see a little more eye detail, perhaps drawing out a touch more of his personality. But that's really no big deal....it's a terrific picture.

Looks to me that he and Tater would make great running mates.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    ...But, that's a hot look with the young crowd :D

Good point. :)
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
    edited March 17, 2011
    Yo Pard,

I find your treatment on this one to be most intriguing. You've got some interesting lighting that, in my opinion, works very well. Combine that with your other treatment tactics and you end up with a striking presentation. My only wish with this shot is that I could see a little more eye detail, perhaps drawing out a touch more of his personality. But that's really no big deal....it's a terrific picture.

Looks to me that he and Tater would make great running mates.

Tom

Hey Tom,

Personally I'd agree with you fellas, but this is a very specific look that I was after. Raccoon eye sockets and all. Don't ask me why it's popular, it just is ne_nau.gif

I'm actually going to be pursuing new (to me) markets with this basic look, so you may see more of it from me... I figured this wouldn't set well with the "portrait" crowd, that's why I didn't bother to post it in the "people" forum.

Lots and lots of photographers around here to get "normal" pics from, the younger crowd wants something new/different than what mom had.

As always, I appreciate the honest input thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited March 17, 2011
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Good point. :)

thumb.gif
    Randy
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    I really like this one, Randy..... I wouldn't change a thing.....thumb.gifthumb
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Top shelve Randy. Really nice delivery thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
    edited March 18, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    I really like this one, Randy..... I wouldn't change a thing.....thumb.gifthumb

Thanks Gary!
    Randy
    edited March 18, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Top shelve Randy. Really nice delivery thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thanks for the nice comment Michael!
    Randy
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 18, 2011
    My only wish with this shot is that I could see a little more eye detail, perhaps drawing out a touch more of his personality....

Randy posted another one here that you might want to see. More eyes, less hat. Both are very cool. thumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I rather suspected, Randy, that the " raccoon eye " look to this shot was intentional. And, as I said, it really doesn't detract from what I consider to be a fabulous photo. I'm really enthused to hear that you are going to pursue more work along these lines....perhaps establish a " signature " approach based on these same concepts.

Lo and behold, then, I followed Richard's link to the shot of your grandson that you posted over in People. Gracious, I was completely bowled over....that's one of the best portrait shots I've ever seen anywhere. clap.gif I can't wait to see how you progress with this line of work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 18, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Randy posted another one here that you might want to see. More eyes, less hat. Both are very cool. thumb.gif

Thanks for the link-ing, and again the nice comment Richard!
    Randy
    edited March 18, 2011
    I rather suspected, Randy, that the " raccoon eye " look to this shot was intentional. And, as I said, it really doesn't detract from what I consider to be a fabulous photo. I'm really enthused to hear that you are going to pursue more work along these lines....perhaps establish a " signature " approach based on these same concepts.

Low and behold, then, I followed Richard's link to the shot of your grandson that you posted over in People. Gracious, I was completely bowled over....that's one of the best portrait shots I've ever seen anywhere. clap.gif I can't wait to see how you progress with this line of work.

Tom

Tom, as usual, your too kind.

I'm working on a deal that may get me re-engaged in photography to the level that I need to be. I've been sluffing for way too long ne_nau.gif

Take care pard!
    Randy
    edited March 18, 2011
    If interested, I just posted some more shots of Devin over in the "people" forum, or just jump from here.
    Randy