Maine Long Exposure

knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited March 17, 2011 in Landscapes
Last week we bought a 10 stop ND filter and took it out for a test drive on Saturday. The day looked promising, overcast with light rain. And it stayed that way until we got a camera setup and were ready to start shooting - then it started to clear and get too bright. We added a circular polo to the ND to see how long an exposure we could get; this got it up to 1min 40sec. Not long enough for what we were trying to do. To get the water looking a little more misty, we used the in-camera multiple exposure feature to combine 5 shots. This was more like it. This is the shot my wife got (East End Beach landing in Portland, Maine):

1219682979_eSgcj-M.jpg

About this time some friends walked up and started visiting and my wife left the camera for me to play with. I thought I would go for 10 shots to see what happened. Well, I flubbed a few of them and got 7 shots instead and I had some helpers show up. Since I was in the middle of the sequence when the helpers started walking around I thought I would continue and see what come out (at one point one of the helpers walked up to the camera between shots, looked in the lens, and ask me if I was taking pictures). I wonder what gave me away - big black camera on a tripod maybe? Anyway, here is the version the helpers and I took:

1219682912_sBPUp-M.jpg

It is supposed to rain tomorrow so we are going to go back after work and see what else we can get.