Options

#72 Waco Mammoth Site

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
edited March 20, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Our family took a spring break trip to see the Mammoth excavation site in Waco, TX. This is the site of a real archeological dig of a whole herd of mammoths, plus a few assorted other animals. Some of the bones were removed from the site, but a building was built over the remaining bones, which are only partially uncovered. Visitors go across an elevated walkway and look down on the dig site.

Thus, here are a couple of different views of "Above the Mammoths." What do you think? Worthy? Any suggestions?

First, a couple of views of the big room to give you an idea of what we had.
1219480343_g586F-L-1.jpg

1219475742_Ekq4W-L-1.jpg

1. Bull Mammoth
1219469684_Bh7re-L-1.jpg

2. Same image, just desaturated
1219467166_CDTpN-L-1.jpg

3. Female Mammoth
1219472276_Us8FB-L-1.jpg

4. Camel
1219474292_6g6y6-L-1.jpg

5. Closer on the Bull Mammoth
1219478554_TCnNf-L-1.jpg

If these aren't worthy, I have one more idea if I can find time to go to the location. :D

Thanks for looking.

Sherry

Comments

• Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    These images are awesome.

Where is this?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    Thanks! These photos were taken at the Waco, Texas Mammoth site. It is a pretty cool place. My images just don't do it justice.

http://www.wacomammoth.org/map.html

Sherry
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I like the last image because it doesn't have the white card, it leaves our eyes to look at the subject and try and figure things out. I like the idea!
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I like the last one, too. The flow of the tusks is great. I could even see cropping a bit tighter.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Very nice images. I'm not sure which one I like best... maybe the last one yes, because of the colors...

* I agree with the white cards - they can easily be cloned out.

** I also think that the last one may benefit from some crop of the bottom... - just give it a try.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    I gotta go with #5 too. The giant tusks are one of the most defining characteristics of a mammoth, and that photo showcases them more than the others.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    Thank you all for the comments. I appreciate them so much. I do have some mammoth shots that were closer on the tusks only, but I had tried to post the shots that showed as much of the entire mammoth that I could show. Shows you what I know, huh? (I also thought my underwater alligator would be everyone's favorite, to further indicate how clueless I seem to be!) I will take another look through the rest of my shots from that day & see what I can do that may be more interesting.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sherry