Options

Please help me find a camera!

MarcMarc Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited February 17, 2004 in Cameras
I am the proud owner of a Canon EOS 10D with all the good stuff. Don't get me wrong, this equipment is far better than I - I doubt I'll ever be able to use all of its capabilities. The shots I’ve been able to capture so far are fantastic. The problem is size. You see, I ride a motorcycle, travel a lot for work, mountain bike, fly fish and a bunch of other stuff for which the 10D is a bit unwieldy. It's just not convenient to throw it in my pocket and take it out to a dinner with friends, etc. So, I’m looking for a second camera.

My requirements are fairly simple:
  • Relatively small size – I think the really small cameras are pretty cool
  • 3+ Megapixels
  • Reasonably rugged (can throw in a pocket without worry)
  • Very good battery life
  • Water resistance would be nice but isn’t absolutely essential – I live in the NorthWest and it rains a lot here
  • Price less than or equal to $400
  • Compact Flash cards would be nice as I already have some – but not an absolute requirement
  • Ability to turn on and operate main camera functions with gloves (motorcycle shots) would be nice
I’ve read so many reviews, spec sheets and advertisements, I’m about to go nuts. I looked at (and really liked) the [url="http:///2003_reviews/optio_s4/s4_front_blk.jpg"]Pentax Optio S4[/url]. On the up side, it is incredibly small, apparently takes excellent shots, got a great review and can be had for slightly more than $300. On the down side, I don’t think it’s weather resistant and I don’t know how well it will work with gloved hands.

s4_front_blk.jpg

Next, I looked at the Olympus Stylus 400. According to Olympus, it’s water resistant and it looks like you might be able to operate this with gloved hands. It’s larger than the way-cool Pentax above, so it isn’t as cool – although it might still easily fit into a pocket. Another plus is that you can find these for around $300. It too has received good reviews and appears to take excellent shots.

400_front_blk.jpg

I’ve poked around on E-Bay looking at used Nikon 995’s because they came so highly recommended by a friend. However, used models seem to be going for more than either of the above two (new) cameras! The Canon PowerShot S400 is a cool camera, but it sells for about $400 and I’ve heard it’s hard to work with gloves on. Also, it’s not water resistant. Hell, there might be the perfect new camera about to be announced just around the corner in February!

Anyways, I’m at my wits end here. Any help you can provide me in clarifying my thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    They would both be my picks of the current bunch.

Marc wrote:
    I am the proud owner of a Canon EOS 10D with all the good stuff. Don't get me wrong, this equipment is far better than I - I doubt I'll ever be able to use all of its capabilities. The shots I’ve been able to capture so far are fantastic. The problem is size. You see, I ride a motorcycle, travel a lot for work, mountain bike, fly fish and a bunch of other stuff for which the 10D is a bit unwieldy. It's just not convenient to throw it in my pocket and take it out to a dinner with friends, etc. So, I’m looking for a second camera.

• 3+ Megapixels
    • Very good battery life
    • Water resistance would be nice but isn’t absolutely essential – I live in the NorthWest and it rains a lot here
    • Compact Flash cards would be nice as I already have some – but not an absolute requirement
    • Ability to turn on and operate main camera functions with gloves (motorcycle shots) would be nice
    I’ve read so many reviews, spec sheets and advertisements, I’m about to go nuts. I looked at (and really liked) the [url="http:///2003_reviews/optio_s4/s4_front_blk.jpg"]Pentax Optio S4[/url]. On the up side, it is incredibly small, apparently takes excellent shots, got a great review and can be had for slightly more than $300. On the down side, I don’t think it’s weather resistant and I don’t know how well it will work with gloved hands.

s4_front_blk.jpg

Next, I looked at the Olympus Stylus 400. According to Olympus, it’s water resistant and it looks like you might be able to operate this with gloved hands. It’s larger than the way-cool Pentax above, so it isn’t as cool – although it might still easily fit into a pocket. Another plus is that you can find these for around $300. It too has received good reviews and appears to take excellent shots.

400_front_blk.jpg

I’ve poked around on E-Bay looking at used Nikon 995’s because they came so highly recommended by a friend. However, used models seem to be going for more than either of the above two (new) cameras! The Canon PowerShot S400 is a cool camera, but it sells for about $400 and I’ve heard it’s hard to work with gloves on. Also, it’s not water resistant. Hell, there might be the perfect new camera about to be announced just around the corner in February!

Anyways, I’m at my wits end here. Any help you can provide me in clarifying my thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 21, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    They would both be my picks of the current bunch.
    Several people have gone with the S400. I went the S50 route. I can
    one hand it albeit poorly at the moment. But it does work.

1851504-M.jpg

I liked the cover over the lens and it's a bit larger than the S400. More
    features, same price too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    I would have a look at the QVR40 from casio as well. It claims virtually nil lag time if that is important for a pocket camera

Marc wrote:

• 3+ Megapixels
    • Very good battery life

s4_front_blk.jpg

400_front_blk.jpg

Marc
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 21, 2004
    You probably ended up with the 300D for a reason, right? Stick with what you like and go for one of the smaller Canon's. I had a S100 for years before I bought my 300D. I like the many similar characteristics between them - both use CF, same FileViewerUtility, same remote, menus are similar... Made it a little easier for me to jump up to the 300D. Granted, you are going "down", but still.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    I really like my Canon A80. 4 megapixel, CF cards, AA bateries. It's a little bigger than the Canon S series but the shape makes for a secure grip with gloves on. I have no problem operating the camera even with my winter gloves while on the moto.
    David
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    Marc, how about going down to a store and putting your paws on some of your contenders? Might help eliminate/elevate some.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Marc, how about going down to a store and putting your paws on some of your contenders? Might help eliminate/elevate some.
    Read every review I could. Spoke to fish. Went to several stores and settled on...

prod_img.jpg

I've got an anniversary coming up and I've dropped a hint or two. You never know what might show up. Now that I've picked one, just watch Canon come out with the S500 the week after I get it...

Thanks for the help!

Marc
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2004
    Sweet camera. High on my lust list. Congratulations. thumb.gif Now, where's that message board for dropping hints to the wife....
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    marc, after two weeks what do you think about the S400??
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2004
    What he thinks is that he was right - Canon has come out with the S500! rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    drholmdrholm Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2004
    Marc...I went through the same process and ended up with a new S400 a few weeks ago. So far it has exceeded my expectations. Costco online had it at $399 including a second battery. Their 6 month, no questions asked, refund policy made it a no-brainer.

The large shutter release button seems to work for me with riding gloves. What did you decide to use for image processing? Irfanview or the software that came with the S400?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    the s400 rocks. small, solid, good quality. easier to use than a 10D (damhik).

as far as i know, MPM has not purcased a camera...he's waiting for his wife to buy it for him.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    I like mine, though it's taking me a bit to master it.

2404532-M.jpg
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    kbasa wrote:
    I like mine, though it's taking me a bit to master it.

2404532-M.jpg
    Tasty lookin' stuff there kbasa...

ian
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    I'm getting the feeling that kbasa eats and drinks well.
    Sid.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm getting the feeling that kbasa eats and drinks well.
    I think you are right!
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    Happy Anniversary!

Well, today's the BIG day. Went out for a nice dinner, had some wine and exchanged gifts. Guess what? I got a new S400!

So, here's the dilema. The frau is OK with me returning it and getting an S500 or S410 - but they're not out yet. The higher pixel count makes no difference to me. However, the reduced shutter lag time would really be great. After all, I've really gotten spoiled by the 10D - I'd really miss that *now* feeling when I push the shutter release button.

Whichever way I go, I'll be keeping this S400/410/500 for a while. So photogs, what would you do?

Marc
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    Marc wrote:
    Happy Anniversary!

Well, today's the BIG day. Went out for a nice dinner, had some wine and exchanged gifts. Guess what? I got a new S400!

So, here's the dilema. The frau is OK with me returning it and getting an S500 or S410 - but they're not out yet. The higher pixel count makes no difference to me. However, the reduced shutter lag time would really be great. After all, I've really gotten spoiled by the 10D - I'd really miss that *now* feeling when I push the shutter release button.

Whichever way I go, I'll be keeping this S400/410/500 for a while. So photogs, what would you do?

Marc
    Keep the S400. It won't be that big a deal. Trust me.

Ian
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    I'd go for the faster response time. I think it's a big deal. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Keep the S400. It won't be that big a deal. Trust me.

Ian

And kiss your wife sweetly.:sweet
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I went over to DPreview and read all the data gleaned from the guys over there - turns out I misread the spec sheet. There is NOT a faster resonese time as I had thought. There is only enhanced video capabilities which I'll never use.

So, last night I opened the package and started charging the battery. It means more to use the gift my wife gave me, than to take it back for a slightly more flashy unit.

Look for 10D/S400 comparison shots soon!

Marc
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    thumb.gif. Thanks for saying that, I was wondering... I thought I'd missed something, was going to go back and re-read today. Excellent camera!
    Sid.