Options

Itsy Bitsy, Teeny Weeny Spider

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited September 28, 2005 in Holy Macro
He/She wouldn't extend their legs so this is what I ended up with. I was trying to do backlighting and web illumination. For me, the web can be just as interesting as the spider and not quite so creepy. These were shot under a brown eve, hence the color cast. Not my best, but you'll never see my worst:D.

Backlit spider
49889208.jpg

A jumble of legs
49889209.jpg

Just an overview
49889207.jpg

This last one is my least fav of the three but thought a straight shot might be nice. I don't have a clue as to what type of spider this is so if anyone has a clue, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    I actually like Pic #3 the best- just seems a nice composition/design.
    great experiments with lighting thumb.gif
    The spider looks like the common web spider in the UK- Araneus diadematus- should have a pale cross like design on it's back.

Brian V.
  • Options
    I actually like Pic #3 the best- just seems a nice composition/design.
    great experiments with lighting thumb.gif
    The spider looks like the common web spider in the UK- Araneus diadematus- should have a pale cross like design on it's back.

Brian V.
    Hi Brian,
    Just goes to show "different strokes for different folks". #3 is the best shot I have of the web and is why I included it. I'll have to see if I have a better shot from the top of this spider. I looked up -Araneus diadematus- and it is not that one. Cool looking spider (the one you mentioned) though. This one has no cross and has nodule-like buldges from it's abdomen.

Thanks for the comments,
    Chris

If this spider hadn't been so cooperative(shot before the mantis), it would have ended up being a mantis meal. It's still hanging from my roof eave.

• Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    Some sort of Orb Weaver maybe? Interesting little fellows, I have a large one outside my backporch. Weaves his/her web every night just about sundown, gorges himself/herself all night on whatever he/she can catch in that cool web and just before the sunrise he/she ingests the web and heads back into an eve for the day. Freaked me out the first time I watched the eating of the web!
  • Options
    Gator wrote:
    Some sort of Orb Weaver maybe? Interesting little fellows, I have a large one outside my backporch. Weaves his/her web every night just about sundown, gorges himself/herself all night on whatever he/she can catch in that cool web and just before the sunrise he/she ingests the web and heads back into an eve for the day. Freaked me out the first time I watched the eating of the web!
    Interesting. I'll have to see if this one does that. It does seem to be missing it's web each day, but I didn't consider the possibility of it eating its own web.

Thanks for stopping by,
    Chris

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    The last one would be perfect for an ad or poster with words to the side. Stock photography my friend, sell it.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    The last one would be perfect for an ad or poster with words to the side. Stock photography my friend, sell it.
    Hi Khaos,
    Never thought about that. I'll have to do a search here to find out how to proceed.

Thanks for the idea,
    Chris