Lens protection

aspireequineaspireequine Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 19, 2011 in Cameras
I shoot with a canon 60D outfitted with a 70-200mm USM L lens. My primary interest and passion are horses. Horse shows are very dusty. Does anyone have any ideas on how to protect this equipment. I have declined some shoots for fear of damage to my equipment....Thanks everyone!!!

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Put a high quality UV filter on the lens. Don't change lenses in the dusty air. Get a can of compressed air and blow out your camera after each event.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 18, 2011
    The first thing that I highly recommend for dusty environments is to use a protective filter for the front of the lens. It's much easier to clean a filter than it is to clean the front of the lens and if the filter should get scratched it's pretty easy and inexpensive to replace. Purchasing a high quality filter with a sealed construction means just taking the filter off when it's dirty and then rinsing it under a water tap to clean. If it's terribly dirty you can use a gentle detergent or alcohol to assist. I do recommend a final rinse in distilled water and then a clean micro-fiber cloth to dry.

Constant use of the lens hood will also provide some shelter for the front of the lens and filter.

The Canon 60D does have some environmental seals but they are not designed for constant exposure to dusty conditions. It would be best to use some sort of sleeve for the entire camera or a housing of some sort. A 1D/1Ds body is better prepared for these conditions but it still requires maintenance of the seals and gaskets, which means factory service at periodic intervals.

Do what you can to try to provide some shelter/shield for the camera and lens. What ever you can do will prolong the life of your camera but understand that constant use in dusty conditions will results in eventual problems and necessary repairs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    It would have to be so dusty that is poses a health risk to be any immediate danger to your gear. Or exposed long enough that you would wear a mask anyways.
    If that is the case, decent quality UV filter, a blower (sealed in a zip lock bag) a small make-up brush.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 19, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    It would have to be so dusty that is poses a health risk to be any immediate danger to your gear. Or exposed long enough that you would wear a mask anyways.
    If that is the case, decent quality UV filter, a blower (sealed in a zip lock bag) a small make-up brush.

Not really. I wrecked a perfectly good Mamiya C330 in a single day at a motocross event, just because of dust. Never underestimate what horses can kick up too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    I would contact Camera Armor and see what they can recommend for you camera and lenses...........or shoot from a sealed under water Bag...they are much less expensive than the solid plexi enclosures..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I would contact Camera Armor and see what they can recommend for you camera and lenses...........or shoot from a sealed under water Bag...they are much less expensive than the solid plexi enclosures..........
    ...Or, just buy an Olympus flagship DSLR. :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited March 19, 2011
    ...Or, just buy an Olympus flagship DSLR. :-P

=Matt=
    :D:Drolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    :D:Drolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Have you seen those images of various dirty Olympus cameras? Some of them are NUTS! I saved the image of the E-1 under a faucet, dunno where it is though. I also saw one with icicles and frost on it, and another that was completely clay-red with dust, I think it was at an Australian off-road rally or something.

Okay but seriously: With a UV filter and indoor lens changes, that 70-200 will be ready for ANY kind of dust / moisture. Sure, if you're gonna use it in a dusty environment 24-7 for months or years, you might want to invest in additional protection, but if you're just doing a few days or a week's trip, or even long-term but just a few hours a week, don't worry about it! To shoot horses, I honestly can't imagine it being an issue for the L lens as long as you change lenses away from the dust, and use a UV filter.

The "amateur" camera body I would worry about a little bit more, for that you might want to be a little more protective. I wouldn't go as far as to use some god-awful rubber contraption (sorry, camera armor) that severely hinders your camera control, ...but at least a careful cleaning after every shoot, and again changing lenses indoors or away from the dust.

I believe the 60D has at least basic seals, around the SD and battery compartments, correct? The camera should be fine. I used to take my Nikon D70 to Death Valley and the sand dunes, or to the BMX jumps which is a VERY fine powder that gets into EVERYTHING. NEVER had a problem due to dust.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited March 19, 2011
    Have you seen those images of various dirty Olympus cameras? Some of them are NUTS! I saved the image of the E-1 under a faucet, dunno where it is though. I also saw one with icicles and frost on it, and another that was completely clay-red with dust, I think it was at an Australian off-road rally or something.

Okay but seriously: With a UV filter and indoor lens changes, that 70-200 will be ready for ANY kind of dust / moisture. Sure, if you're gonna use it in a dusty environment 24-7 for months or years, you might want to invest in additional protection, but if you're just doing a few days or a week's trip, or even long-term but just a few hours a week, don't worry about it! To shoot horses, I honestly can't imagine it being an issue for the L lens as long as you change lenses away from the dust, and use a UV filter.

The "amateur" camera body I would worry about a little bit more, for that you might want to be a little more protective. I wouldn't go as far as to use some god-awful rubber contraption (sorry, camera armor) that severely hinders your camera control, ...but at least a careful cleaning after every shoot, and again changing lenses indoors or away from the dust.

I believe the 60D has at least basic seals, around the SD and battery compartments, correct? The camera should be fine. I used to take my Nikon D70 to Death Valley and the sand dunes, or to the BMX jumps which is a VERY fine powder that gets into EVERYTHING. NEVER had a problem due to dust.

=Matt=

Matt....I agree with you....I just found it funny you recommended an Oly to a canon shooter.......oh yeah I have seen them and I was going to jump from my KM7D to OLY but there was a couple of things that Nikon offered that oly did not and went that way.......Swinton Photos sent me a bunch of those cool pix and when I was googling the Oly flagship I got tons of those images in return.....they make a tough camera.

My KM7D and all my film cams never had any extra protection nor does my D300's.....and they are all (KM7D & D300's) are still running great...if it is pouring rain I do the trashbag over the lens and camera but that is it.

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    OT, but this image looks so much like Australia, I had to check your location.:D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix