Messing about

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 21, 2011 in People
Nothing special, really, but I was thinking about (and inspired by) Indigirl's dad's amazing domestic shot, and Randy's killer lighting and also just playing with the new lens. All added up trying to shoot Mini D in the dark while she was playing the piano. And I mean in the dark - no ambient. I was amazed the lens could focus at all, much less as accurately as it did (bodes well!).

Gridded flash to CR ~45* to subject, bare flash behind her.

Anyway, not sure if this is an overprocessed snapshot, a slice of life, or a test shot, but I kinda liked it! C&C always welcomed :nod

1220616788_fhD9t-L.jpg

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Rich...
    A very rich looking photograph.

What would have made it perfect to me is if the shade behind her were completely down. The reflection in the window is distracting, but the texture and color of the shade was perfect for the shot.

Just my 2 cents for what they're worth.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Love that you are inspired. Love that you are trying new stuff.
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    A very rich looking photograph.

What would have made it perfect to me is if the shade behind her were completely down.
    ...Or entirely up to see what the full reflection would reveal...

I like the mood of the shot though - well worth pursuing further!
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    I like the way you've used both flashes here. I like the gritty textures here (her hair, skin, paint on the sill,etc...). The lighting is quite good. The shot would have been much better with the blinds all the way down.

I've never been able to take a shot of my kids playing the piano. I just can't figure out the angles.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Heehee.... Yeah, I was wondering how much the reflection would bug other people - I admit, I was being lazy and didn't want to take it into PS to fix it. :D

I admit that I do like the way the lines of the blinds and the lines of the keys themselves form right angles to lead into that corner and frame the human element.

How 'bout this? naughty.gif

1221026785_Eiaz8-L.jpg

Mitchell, try from the end of the piano, in line with the actual instrument (assuming it's an upright like this one). If you want their faces try to catch them when they're doing something tricky with that hand (ie the hand that's at the end you're shooting from - sorry, bad English, but hopefully you know what I mean) - they'll naturally turn their head/body that way as they concentrate on whatever is happening on that side.

Frankly, my room is so small that's the only place I CAN stand, but it worked out, especially with (grazie ai Dei!) a slightly longer zoom with teh mad AF skillz. I'm still boggling that the lens could focus at all in that (non)light - the Tamron wouldn't have been able to, I know that for sure! Sooooo hoping the new beast will perform well at next week's concert opera shoot - it'll be a treat to be able to go wider than 50mm without having to run around to frame the shot!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    The lens is truly shining, its quality is just so much an intrinsic part of the effect of this image. Great that you are pushing it, because not only can it take it, but it is more than responding to your intention.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Thanks Neil - I'm having fun with it!
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    i like the second one better with the reflection edited out. cool shot, and congrats on the new glass!