Adobe Camera Raw 3.2 released, plus new DNG

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited October 1, 2005 in Finishing School
Here is the link to download it from Adobe.

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    Here are the new cameras added.
    Newly supported cameras for Camera Raw 3.2 - September 2005
    Support for the following cameras has been added from Camera Raw 3.1 to 3.2.

Panasonic
    DMC-LX1
    DMC-FZ30
    Hasselblad
    H2D (DNG)
    Konica Minolta
    Alpha Sweet Digital (Japan)
    Alpha-5 Digital (China)
    Maxxum 5D (USA)
    Dynax 5D (Europe)
    Leaf
    Valeo 17
    Aptus 22
    Leica
    D-Lux 2
    Digital-Modul-R (DNG)
    Nikon
    D2Hs
    D70s
    D50
    Coolpix 8400
    Coolpix 8800
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    YooHoo, Support for my D70sclap.gif

edit: but it appears that D70s NEF files still won't display as thumbnail images in Adobe Bridge. They now open natively in Camera Raw when you double click on the files but you can't see a preview of the image in Bridge without opening the files.

I updated Adobe Bridge to the newest version - I thought that might be the solution but no go.

Adobe Bridge does show thumbnails of my older Nikon D70 (not D70s) NEF raw files. Just not Nikon's newer format.

I'm still happier that I don't have to go through the extra step of converting my D70s Raw files to Adobe's proprietary .dng format to be able to modify the files in Adobe Camera Raw.

I know that Nikon has their Capture program to do their own Raw modifications but I'd rather just use PS CS2 if I can.

Now I only have a semi-enthusiastic smaller applause clap.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• HarveylevineHarveylevine Registered Users Posts: 325 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005

Adobe Bridge does show thumbnails of my older Nikon D70 (not D70s) NEF raw files. Just not Nikon's newer format.

I'm still happier that I don't have to go through the extra step of converting my D70s Raw files to Adobe's proprietary .dng format to be able to modify the files in Adobe Camera Raw.
    wholenewlight:
    Sorry you are having problems with Adobe raw conversion for your D70s. I have never upgraded from the original D70 and so have not had your problems.

I believe you are mistaken when you said, "Adobe's proprietary .dng format..." DNG is an open format and not proprietary. The idea behind DNG is to provide a format that is flexible enough to allow all camera manufacturers the freedom to include unique information yet still be open to thrid-party developers. Recently, Nikon and Adobe have publically agreed to work together.

Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2 (Paperback)
    by Bruce Fraser contains an excellent discussion of DNG. It is also a great reference on how to get the most out of raw conversion.

Harvey
    Harvey Levine
    Nikon D610, Nikon D300S
    Sony A6000
    http://harveylevine.smugmug.com
    I believe you are mistaken when you said, "Adobe's proprietary .dng format..." DNG is an open format and not proprietary. The idea behind DNG is to provide a format that is flexible enough to allow all camera manufacturers the freedom to include unique information yet still be open to thrid-party developers. Recently, Nikon and Adobe have publically agreed to work together.
    While you are correct about the format being "open", it is certainly Adobe who is behind the format.

Press Release:
    "SAN JOSE, Calif. — Sept. 27, 2004 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today introduced the Digital Negative Specification, a new unified public format for raw digital camera files. The company also launched a free software tool, Adobe DNG Converter, which translates many of today's popular raw photo formats into the new .DNG file format, compliant with the Digital Negative Specification." http://www.dcviews.com/press/Adobe-DNG.htm

Proprietary was probably an incorrect word, but I believe it's Adobe's baby for the world to embrace.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• HarveylevineHarveylevine Registered Users Posts: 325 Major grins
    While you are correct about the format being "open", it is certainly Adobe who is behind the format.

Press Release:
    "SAN JOSE, Calif. — Sept. 27, 2004 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today introduced the Digital Negative Specification, a new unified public format for raw digital camera files. The company also launched a free software tool, Adobe DNG Converter, which translates many of today's popular raw photo formats into the new .DNG file format, compliant with the Digital Negative Specification." http://www.dcviews.com/press/Adobe-DNG.htm

Proprietary was probably an incorrect word, but I believe it's Adobe's baby for the world to embrace.
    wholenewlight:

You are certainly correct that DNG is "Adobe's baby for the world to embrace." The issue that Bruce Fraiser raises is should the world embrce DNG? He explains why we should. That said, I have yet to convert a single NEF to DNG. I think Bruce is right, but with many hundred NEFs, it's hard to figure out where to start.

Regards,

Harvey
    Harvey Levine
    Nikon D610, Nikon D300S
    Sony A6000
    http://harveylevine.smugmug.com
    There was a great article 6 mos.+/- ago in the mag, Digital Photo Pro, identifying the virtues of .dng. And I believe the author. I think it would be great if the different camera manufacturers would sign-on. I'll bet those who produce workflow tools could spend more time with the tools and less time working on compatibility. I've noticed that Hasselblad and Leica are adopting the format. I'd like to see one of the "big guns" announce the same.

Thanks for the update on Frasier's book.

By the way, Digital Photo Pro, great magazine http://digitalphotopro.com/
    john w

Edward Steichen

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    canon 5d raw files open in new version of acr
    i can confirm that although the acr 3.2 update does not specifically state support for canon 5d raw files, that the files do indeed open up in this new version. clap.gifclap.gif
  • usefulengineusefulengine Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner

edit: but it appears that D70s NEF files still won't display as thumbnail images in Adobe Bridge. They now open natively in Camera Raw when you double click on the files but you can't see a preview of the image in Bridge without opening the files.

I updated Adobe Bridge to the newest version - I thought that might be the solution but no go.

I know that Nikon has their Capture program to do their own Raw modifications but I'd rather just use PS CS2 if I can.

Now I only have a semi-enthusiastic smaller applause clap.gif
    I have a D70 and just purchased a D50 as a back up camera and found the same problem with Adobe Bridge. I have Adobe Bridge for both PC and Mac and have found once the RAW update was put on the PC, Adboe Bridge once again worked perfectly, but this is not the case with the Mac.

I feel the problem is with the Mac now.
    I have a D70 and just purchased a D50 as a back up camera and found the same problem with Adobe Bridge. I have Adobe Bridge for both PC and Mac and have found once the RAW update was put on the PC, Adboe Bridge once again worked perfectly, but this is not the case with the Mac.

I feel the problem is with the Mac now.

they're different files, but you probably know that. i loaded the update on my mac today, no difficulties. holler if i can help in any way....
  • usefulengineusefulengine Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    they're different files, but you probably know that. i loaded the update on my mac today, no difficulties. holler if i can help in any way....
    Thanks for the reply.

If you have Adobe Bridge working on the Mac for the D70s/D50 RAW, what have I done Wrong?

I placed the new RAW plug-in, in the file format folder just like I did on the PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    edited October 1, 2005
    Thanks for the reply.

If you have Adobe Bridge working on the Mac for the D70s/D50 RAW, what have I done Wrong?

I placed the new RAW plug-in, in the file format folder just like I did on the PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    it's in
    library>app support>adobe ?