Lens mount question...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited March 20, 2011 in Cameras
I have a Nikon D90 with several Nikon lenses. When I mount the 70-200 f/2.8, the camera has about 1/16" 'wiggle' when locked into place. Not fore/aft, but clockwise/counterclockwise in the same plane as the opposing mounting plates.

Is that normal or acceptable in your opinion? I don't notice it on the other lenses, but this one is a beast.

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Doesn't sound normal or acceptable to me... you can hold the camera still and wiggle the lens? And this only happens with the 70-200 attached? Sounds like the lens has a problem :(
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    I have a Nikon D90 with several Nikon lenses. When I mount the 70-200 f/2.8, the camera has about 1/16" 'wiggle' when locked into place. Not fore/aft, but clockwise/counterclockwise in the same plane as the opposing mounting plates.

Is that normal or acceptable in your opinion? I don't notice it on the other lenses, but this one is a beast.

I think we had a discussion on this issue with several lenses in recent times...If it doesn't affect the photos, it should be okay.

My D700 wiggles with every lens, but I'd say it's closer to 1/128th or 1/64th than 1/16th.
    tom wise
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    It's probably more along the lines of a 64th or 128th now that I really look at it. It's just shy of a solid lock-up, and I haven't really seen anything out of the ordinary with the results.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 19, 2011
    As long as the lens does not break electrical contact it is probably not an issue. 1/64th or 1/128th does not sound like a problem at any rate.

Less worry, more shooting. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    It's probably more along the lines of a 64th or 128th now that I really look at it. It's just shy of a solid lock-up, and I haven't really seen anything out of the ordinary with the results.

Yes. Startling when you first notice something like this~ No worries!
    tom wise
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Sure is!

And it DOES lock in place, but that itty-bitty continued movement had me a bit concerned until now.

Thx-
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Wouldn't it cause camera shake? Or allow dust to get in there? I'm surprised to find this to be "ok."
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 20, 2011
    My 70-200 VR ll / D300s does it also.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Yep, I've seen this. Has no impact on performance.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Wouldn't it cause camera shake? Or allow dust to get in there? I'm surprised to find this to be "ok."

Never cause me a prob....not even with film cams.....every camera I have ever owned (Minolta, Fuji, Miranda, nikon, Konica, Bronica, pentax, mamiya, Kiev....) had a tad bit of play in the lens mount....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 20, 2011

Rotational clearance is necessary to mount and demount any bayonet mount lens. Most of my lenses have some rotational play.

I believe that's what is happening to the OP and it sounds like normal tolerance to me.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums