Options

300D arrived

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in Cameras
Good afternoon,

Love the camera, had a ball just shooting with the kit lens. Go some nice closeups of Don's conifers some OK pics of the local squirrels (would have been 'nothin but air' shots with he 717). As we figure out how to actually use it things will only get better:): Now the rub, neither of us was terribly impressed with the 75-300 IS USM. Going head to head with the 717, still shot, the 717 had the better picture. Could very well be operator error so will play a bit more today, BUT we are starting to wonder if our money might be better spent on a different lens. The C 28-105 is in the works, still need more on the long end. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    Thusie wrote:
    Good afternoon,

Love the camera, had a ball just shooting with the kit lens. Go some nice closeups of Don's conifers some OK pics of the local squirrels (would have been 'nothin but air' shots with he 717). As we figure out how to actually use it things will only get better:): Now the rub, neither of us was terribly impressed with the 75-300 IS USM. Going head to head with the 717, still shot, the 717 had the better picture. Could very well be operator error so will play a bit more today, BUT we are starting to wonder if our money might be better spent on a different lens. The C 28-105 is in the works, still need more on the long end. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Congratulations on the new camera. I don't know anything about the leses you mention, but normally you need to do more post processing with a DSLR than a point and shoot.

when I first got my Rebel I was pretty dissipointed with the picture quality. Until, that is, I learned (at least the basics) how to post process.

Work with it and you will be able to get much better photos.

Look at some of the photos here that were taken with the Rebel. Ya just need to pay your dues.

Good luck!

Sam
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2005
    Below is what I'm talking about. The first one is the Sony with the Sony TP and only out as far as the optical zoom. The second is the 300D with the 75-300 IS, no post just straight from the cameras. Don took both shots since he is like a rock holding. The shots were strictly for clarity comps. Believe me I'm not ruling out operator error. The Sony all the way out (dig zoom) was much better even tho' quality was low. We really want to like this lens so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

37855869-M.jpg

37857010-M.jpg
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    The 75-300is lens can be good or bad, depending on what you're expecting
    from it. It's not the sharpest lens, and the focusing is a little slow.

But, I owned this lens (before I bought a Sigma 80-400) and I was pleased
    with the results when the lens was stopped down to f8.0.

I'm guessing in the picture that you put up, you were shooting wide open,
    ( aperture at f5.6 ) and at ISO 100.
    Try it at ISO 200 or 400, and at F8.0. I think it will look better.

Also (in case you don't know) the "IS" takes a little time to work, about a half
    of a second. So don't just bring the camera up and click away with that lens.
    Use it more like the 717. Hold the shutter down half way till the image stops
    moving around in the view finder, then take the picture.

I more thing. I find that it's helpful to use only the center focus point.
    If you have them all 'lit' the camera may focus on the wrong area.

hope this helps.

100% crops straight from the camera.

37629644.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Thank you Dave! Will try your suggestions today. We were already holding the shutter down 1/2 for the focus to lock will make the other adjustments and see how it goes. I got some pretty fair shots from 100-200mm.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    Thusie wrote:
    Below is what I'm talking about. The first one is the Sony with the Sony TP and only out as far as the optical zoom. The second is the 300D with the 75-300 IS, no post just straight from the cameras. Don took both shots since he is like a rock holding. The shots were strictly for clarity comps. Believe me I'm not ruling out operator error. The Sony all the way out (dig zoom) was much better even tho' quality was low. We really want to like this lens so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I have to admit, the quality is well , ah, unacceptable. :): I don't have your lens, but you should get far better that that from your Rebel.

Hre is a 100% crop of catus photo. (not sure how it will look, here online, but on my screen it's pretty sharp)

Sam
  • Options
    Ok, here is another Rebel shot.

Sam
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Be careful using your pics to compare these lens
    These were shot at diff mag. (the 75-300 more mag.), this and the larger sensor on the 300d will both comspire to give you a much smaller DOF than your used to with the 717-this is good -gives ability to produce OOF backgrounds but harder to get that sharpnees from foreground to horizon- thats why super wide angles are popular for that extended DOF. The 75-300 is best shot at f8 as mentioned earlier and I recommend always using the IS except when on a tripod. Also out of camera jpegs from the 300d (and the rest of Canon's dslrs) all tend to be soft-they have less in camera sharpening than is done on jpegs from most point and shoot cameras. Study the forums here and keep learning -your pictures will get much better-but there is more of a learning curve to overcome and it will be worth it.............Good luck and don't be discouraged

.............................Mereimage

on the other hand in defense of the FZ line here are some pics my son took with a FZ10 this August
    35854577-M.jpg

35854962-M.jpg

35855267-M.jpg

35854785-M.jpg

Nice pics but they have all been heavily processed with Noise Ninja and even at this size noise is still visible in the skies, and the FZ30's images are significantly noisier. If you have a good noise reduction program and enjoy post work then the fz30 may be an option but you can buy a lot more camera (body) for the money-tho a good lens will up the antee.....Mere
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

Dave your suggestions were rght on, made a huge improvement, oh the learning curve! Will post a shot later of the most photographed fire hydrant in the US:D

What was best out of this is, even with getting a better shot, it became obvious this isn't the lens Don wants. It doesn't really suit his shooting style and that is important to figure out. A shorter zoom will be fine for most stuff we shoot around here and when Don wants to go 'long' he is pretty specific about what and why. Soooo that leads us to one thing, save up and get a good prime telephoto in the 300-400 mm range. Oh heck its only money right? We are both thrilled with the 300D, fun, fun, fun. Spending wisely on lenses is a must for us and you folks are a huge help, thanksthumb.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    Glad I could help.

If you're thinkin a bit of a shorter zoom, the Canon 70-200L F4 is tough to beat.
    The pics are sharp, and have good contrast. Canon is starting up the triple
    rebate offer again. It starts Oct 15 and runs through Jan 15 2006. It might
    be worth it to wait till then.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    Thusie wrote:
    Soooo that leads us to one thing, save up and get a good prime telephoto in the 300-400 mm range. Oh heck its only money right?
    J: Hi there Thusie (remember you from STF days :): ).

H: For less than the price and weight of a lens, how about an entire camera?

J: Has the Sony H1 appealed to either of you? I've reeeally had a blast with mine.

H: It's quite a bit more capable than the 717 in several respects (not just the long lens). I have an assortment of photos in my gallery if you'd like to check them out.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/sony_h1_gallery

J: Let me know if you'd like some feedback comparisons of the two cameras.
    J&H

47646026.jpg