Options

Photoshop layers question

TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited March 21, 2011 in Finishing School
This should be a simple question for the experts, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

When I select a drawing tool, for example rectangle box or line tool, every mark that I make creates a new layer. If I wanted to draw 5 lines, it creates 5 layers. How do I draw it all on 1 layer?

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    The first line adds a layer. Hold down the Alt key when you are drawing the additional lines and you continue to draw on that layer.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    If you have the options bar displayed, there are some icons at the left side that determine whether a drawing tool will create a new shape layer, or a new path, or a new bunch of pixels on the same layer. Just pick the mode you want the tool to use.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 21, 2011
    TGAllen wrote: »
    This should be a simple question for the experts, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

When I select a drawing tool, for example rectangle box or line tool, every mark that I make creates a new layer. If I wanted to draw 5 lines, it creates 5 layers. How do I draw it all on 1 layer?
    Change the mode on the shape toolbar so that it adds shapes on the same layer:

1223707149_KDZ5m-XL.jpg
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I use those buttons all the time when I'm making selections, but didn't think about them while drawing. I figured it was simple, but I was having a brainfart.